hard to shift!!

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did a engine swap a d15b7 auto to d16y7 manual and i put new poly shifter bushing and a dc short throw shifter and it worked fine for two weeks or so. i went out tonite and the car would not shift into 1st gear,so i took off the center console and i had to push the shifter realy far to the left, so far it hit my knee to shift. what is the problem? please help becuase cold air come in from were the shifter is becuase of no console..

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one of the bolts ont he shift linkage got loose, maybe

jakksquat

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah crawl under and make sure everything is tight...jason is prolly right bout a loose bolt

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its all tight, i dont know what else to do!!

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it could be ur shift gates. theres always been a problem with short shifters thats why i'm sorta hesitating to put mine in (even tho it only cost 15 bucks), look under how to's. Either the cable is rubbing or it could be that the cable isn't geting enough slack to go into that gear. check the linkages thats what i'd go if it couldn't get into gear.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it would still do that before the short shifter

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have you checked you shift stabilizer mabey that is loose.Does it go into any other gear?

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it goes in to 2nd but also i have to push a little to th left but 3rd 4th are fine 5th i have to push all the way to the right also reverse

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how many miles on that chasis? Did your shortshifter come with bushings, sounds like either your missing those bushing or your some sorta rubber shift bushing needs replaced.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i put all new polyuratane bushing and when i installed them eveything worked fine now it sucks!? the motor and tranny have 76,xxx miles on it

rexman

hondas for life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the pin where the tranny connects to the linkage

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i put every thing on i made sure it was realt thight and also i put all new bolts.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1st and 2nd gear are always to the left
3rd and 4th are always in the middle
5th and reverse are always to the right.....

i think you might not be used to the poly bushings yet, and they havnt broken in yet.
if it is really that bad, try taking it all back out and re-installing it.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its so bad that 1st gear hits my knee and when i put it in reverse it hits the passanger seat

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you sure you didn't break somthing? that sounds really loose. I've had my short throw shifter on my car for nearly 1 year now. I have zero trouble with it. all my synchros are fine, I also swapped in a low milage ex tranny. ex trannies don't like shifting under 2k =))