Harmonic Balancer? Help!

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
My gf's car was making a weird noise so I checked it out and the balancer seems to be shaking. Do I need to replace it or do you think the bolt is loose or backed out? I don't see how a balancer can go bad. Anybody fix this problem without buying a new balance i.e buying new balancer bolt and adding some threadlocker.

What do you guys think? Can a bad belt tensioner cause this? Don't know if 95 civics have belt tesioners(I'm new to Hondas)

thanks in advance

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
if its the balancer just tighten it to 134 lbs/ft and make sure the key is still in it
the key is a little steel block that sits in the groove on the crankshaft and the balancer so it doesnt move
thats all i can think of
but to tighten it right
you may want to remove the a/c belt
the PS belt and the alternator belt
to remove them they all have screws around them somewhere
that allows you to tension them
just loosen them up and tighten the balancer bolt.
i just did this
make sure you torque it at 134 lbs/ft though or it can vibrate loose or if you tighten it to much the bolt will break
good luck

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
Thanks. I will give a shot in the weekend. If its missing the key, can I get it at any autoparts stor or is it a special order part?

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
How do I keep the balancer from turning when I tighten it? Its a 95 honda civic automatic

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
you can buy the key from the internet for like a few bucks
just search genuine honda parts and look for it
when tightening it to prevent it from slipping all depends on the balancer you have
you either have one like mine which is all round or you have the one that has a hexagonal shap to it where the bolt goes in if you have the hexagonal one just buy the kit from honda that basically fits right into the slot and wedges itself into the ground to prevent it from slipping
or if you have one like mine just get one of those nifty rubber wrenches that you can use to take off your oil filter but make sure its bug enough to fit around the blanacer
after that just wrap it around it and hold tight or have someone hold onto it for you
just make sure you get that 134 ft/lb torque into it or you can have a big mess on your hands
or if you can find a metal rod that is basically unbendable... titatanium? or anything really that fits into the holes just push it into the hole and rotate the balancer until it stops and you can tighten it
word of advice though...
dont use a screw driver those bend very easily and are a pain to take out if you try and tighten it without watching the screw driver or they also sell chain wrenches that looks like the chains you would see on a bicycle but is attached to a wrench
that would defineatly do the job but other than that goodluck.

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
So if it's missing the key would I need to remove the balancer to insert the new key?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Or you can remove the transmission dust plate and lodge a big screwdriver in so it stops the flexplate from rotating like the manual says.

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
Bolt was loose, added some oil to the threads and torqued it down to 134ftlbs. Everything is good now.

Thanks to all that responded!

94'BLKBRD

5+ Year Member
BUMP!

Bolt came loose again! Should I just buy a new bolt or put some threadlocker on the old one? Has anyone else had this problem with the bolt before?

Anyone know the Honda part# for the Harmonic Balancer bolt?

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
yeah same thing happened with me. you know what i did?
went to sears and bought me this lovely 200 dollar impact drill
that does like 500 lbs of torque
used that to tighten it until it wouldnt tighten anymore
started the car and et it run for 10 minutes
then took the drill at it again
held it there for like a good
20 seconds to make sure it was all good and welll
and now it doesnt come loose aha
basically just bought the drill and returned it after i was done....

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah same thing happened with me. you know what i did?
went to sears and bought me this lovely 200 dollar impact drill
that does like 500 lbs of torque
used that to tighten it until it wouldnt tighten anymore
started the car and et it run for 10 minutes
then took the drill at it again
held it there for like a good
20 seconds to make sure it was all good and welll
and now it doesnt come loose aha
basically just bought the drill and returned it after i was done....
thats a good way to snap the head off the bolt and be completely screwed.

http://bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=1995&catcgry3=4DR+EX+ABS&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CRANKSHAFT-PISTON&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=Engine