Having a creative block for my walls in my condo

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Long story short. My brother and I own a condo. Its been completely overhauled style wise over the course of the past year. The bedrooms are practically done. The living room is kinda 1/2 way there. My style is like a mix between swedish/organic/minimalist modern.

Here's what is was like before :

This is how it is now. Disregard the pics of my brother, but these are the best pics i could find that really show all the walls in the living room, lol.

the DJ set isn't in the living room, we just had a gettogether that night.

Overall, I'm just looking for a little advice on the things like wall art and A RUG (HARDEST DECISION EVER)!!! The overall color and layout I want to stick with. It was a part of the look we were going for.

Been posting on mainly design forums, but why not post here at homebase? lol. Any ideas or advice that anyone can give?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
From grandma, to modern! Good job on the renovation! My ex was an interior designer, and I picked up a lot of stuff from her.
I'd suggest some mirrors to help give the illusion of a bigger room. It will really space the place out, and make it feel HUGE. As far as rugs, Bed Bath & Beyond is good for that, or if you have a Cost Plus World Market in your area, that's a goldmine. Ikea is your best friend for modern Swedish minimalist decor. Go with a 5x7 area rug (you're kinda limited to black. That blue wall is rough to work with haha). That couch area could do with a huge painting or something.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your condo is lain out in almost the exact same way as my apartment. Looks great so far. You could keep it cheap, while making it simple/nice by heading over to IKEA and getting a lack shelf (lack is the type) to put over the TV. Throw a few books or DVDs and a simple flower (maybe an orchid) on top of it for a simple/comfortable feel. You might fill up a little more wall space, while keeping the simple/uncluttered look with a simple rectangular / vertically aligned dvd rack to the left or right of the TV.

You may also consider finding a japanese inspired painting, done mostly in black and white, with a simple black frame, to put over the couch. You could do either one long one, or offset a few smaller ones.

Just a few thoughts, anyway.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that wall needs something wild on it or the floor. lime green like sea hawks green color. not the whole carpet but some in it. your furniture style limits you on what you can add to the design. shelves, sleek looking not big gaudy ones. proper lighting, and that wall of pictures needs help

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your condo is nice man, great transformation. You should get a polar bear skin rug or a black bear skin rug.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What kind of lighting to you have in there? A couple of lamps could add some style and keep with the theme. Just something with clean lines and maybe a complementary color for some contrast. I'm looking for a rug too, that s***'s expensive. Take a look at www.freshome.com if you haven't already, I look on there for ideas, pretty cool modern stuff.

Last edited:

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thx for all the input and complements guys :D

i'm liking some of the ideas i'm hearing. For lighting i've got a couple puddle lights in the built in near the front door, got a sunk-in pendant light above the dining table and have big lamp in the back corner on the other side of the sectional (hard to see with the brightness in the shot). Overall, i have enough lighting to evenly light the entire living room area without being too overpowering =)

for the rug, i might need to go bigger than 5x7, lol.... my sectional is about 10ft wide. I'll definitely check out some of the rug suggestions you guys mentioned.

Ikea's been one of the best contributions to my place, lol. I got way too much Ikea stuff in here. Trying not to add too much more. I like the lack shelf idea. I've got all of my dvds and stuff in the tv bench =)

i like buzzbombtom's idea for adding some green to the place. I think i might go that route as to not completely overpower the place with more tropic blue, lol.

i'm still torn all over when it comes to the kind of wall art to put up.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What kind of lighting to you have in there? A couple of lamps could add some style and keep with the theme. Just something with clean lines and maybe a complementary color for some contrast. I'm looking for a rug too, that s***'s expensive. Take a look at www.freshome.com if you haven't already, I look on there for ideas, pretty cool modern stuff.
Some of the things are that site are just awesome.

I've been on it for a while now looking lol

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
arnt you a photog? if you want something not "boy racer" inspired, think of old details from blueprints, real blue prints, interesting topo maps of things. another fun thing, if i remember correctly you are local in miami right? go to flea markets and try and get some vintage building pictures from the time your building was built, assuming its from the 50's or older. you need some 50's style window covers, maybe white with some funky black design on them.

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ lol, i wish. i own my condo, but i'm pretty sure the condo association will have a problem with that, lol.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Your brother has an excellent choice in shoes.

Nice looking condo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like it the way it is. Less is more when it comes to interior decorating. Maybe some spot lights?

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its a condo, you own, you can take any wall out....have to go to the building department to get permitted but hell you can do what ever you want as long as it doesnt jeopardize the structure of the entire building, but in a case of a high rise, your interior walls of your condo were meant to be taken down ;) non structural load bearing walls.