Head Swap

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok...I bent some valves when my timing belt snapped...I got a head off a d16b in the junk yard (i was told the d16 and d15 used the same head) Anyway....I am getting the head milled and pressure tested, other than the head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket...what else should I expect to need for the job??....and any little tips and tricks I should watch out for would also be greatly appreciated.....

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sure the engine you have is not a D15?

But anyhow lloks like you go teverything your gonna need. Its hard to tell what you need when you only posted that you have a head and besided the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets.

Otherwise you should jus tbe able to slap that head on.

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
Sure the engine you have is not a D15?

But anyhow lloks like you go teverything your gonna need. Its hard to tell what you need when you only posted that you have a head and besided the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets.

Otherwise you should jus tbe able to slap that head on.
I do have a d15b2 but was told that the d16 had the same head and would work on my d15.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
DredwerkZ said:
I do have a d15b2 but was told that the d16 had the same head and would work on my d15.
Im not 100% positive that the heads are identical in design. But as far as bolt on it is.

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I stopped at the local honda dealershipand the parts counter guy went and got the master tech. and he is the one who told me that...then when I went to the junk yard, i asked the guy there and he said he didnt know...but he gave me a print outfrom the parts computer and the 5th gen dx was on it....thats the car I got the head from, it had a rear collision damage and the engine had 69k miles on it...the engine was infact a d16, and was the one listed on the cross reference printout from the junkyard computer.....
I just didnt want to run into any surprises when i did the work..

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
be prepared to have a lot of fun getting the crank pulley off if you dont have a big impact, i would replace the water pump, buy the head gasket for a z6 or y8 since its MLS style, cleaning the old headgasket off isnt too much fun either....

EDIT: supposedly the a6 cam is different than the d15's

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
stolle said:
be prepared to have a lot of fun getting the crank pulley off if you dont have a big impact, i would replace the water pump, buy the head gasket for a z6 or y8 since its MLS style, cleaning the old headgasket off isnt too much fun either....

EDIT: supposedly the a6 cam is different than the d15's
:werd: When removing the older head gasket DONT use a razor blade as you may scare the machined surface of teh block and head. Use a plastic putty knife. That will do it for you. Also if you get any debris in teh bolt holes make sure you get it out. Use a air hose or can of compressed air.