Headliner?

Themegajosh09

Is there a specific material to use? I wanted to get some plad fabric and put it on with headliner adhesive. My dad said it has to be headliner material or the glue will soak right through it.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
Your dad is correct. I am sure that if you a little searching you can find something similar to what you are looking for that will work.

Sent from my DROIDX

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats not necessarily true when you apply the headliner adhesive you let it sit for a couple minutes for the glue to become tacky before you apply the material. the only problem with non specific headliner material is it doesn't stretch so it can be difficult to get around curves but its not impossible.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My dad said it has to be headliner material or the glue will soak right through it.
Thats not true unless you chose a very thin and/or loosely woven, thus porous, fabric. Personally, Im against headliner adhesive because its too weak and WILL eventually lead to sagging. Ive used 3M high grade spray adhesive for numerous projects and it works great. Its holding up my vinyl headliner without a problem, and many people think (errantly) you cant vinyl headliner.

the only problem with non specific headliner material is it doesn't stretch so it can be difficult to get around curves but its not impossible.
Thats not accurate. Most fabrics have some level of elasticity. Coarser thickly woven fabrics wont stretch, but you'll obviously know when you feel the fabric in your hands & try to stretch it. In the end, it comes down to the type of material you use. Like someone else said, let the spray adhesive sit for about a minute so its tackier when you go to lay the fabric. Thatll help the fabric stick better on curves.