heat wrap

yourname9505

5+ Year Member
i only have minor boltons and i was wondering if heat rap would be worth it. i took off the heat shield on my factory exhaust manifold and i was wondering if heat wrap was better than the shield. if so i found some on ebay and was wondering if its as good as the real stuff???

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you swap on a header or did you just take the heat shield off your stock exhaust manifold?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From what he wrote, he just took off the heat sheild on the stock manifold.... Im curious to know too. I just put on a Megan 4-2-1 2pc header, and noticed that the engine bay is REALLY hot, compared to how it was w/the OEM/stock header and heatshield.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you stay with the stock manifold and no heat wrap, leave the heat sheild on. it helps a lot.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have to be carefull because that wrap actually works.. the problem with this is that some headers just cant take it.. its TOO hot and you end up cracking welds.. another issue is that SOME shitty headers will rust out bad.. if you plan to do this i would paint the s**t out of the header with some high heat paint to protect against rust.. heat wrap IS fabric so can act as a sponge holding nasty rain water and such right up against the header tubing. without addequate protection you will get serious rust issues.. i dont see why you couldnt wrap a factory exhaust manifold? ive seen turbo manifolds made from stock exhaust manifolds wrapped..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oc said what i was going to say.

i think it was longgrain who posted about heat wrapping? or maybe he posted in that thread. but the threads on here and has good info. oc said most of it. i think most ppl just use heat wrap on the lower half of the manifold to protect the oil pan. just leave the heatshield on.

ryanM

amej8 said:
oc said what i was going to say.

i think it was longgrain who posted about heat wrapping? or maybe he posted in that thread. but the threads on here and has good info. oc said most of it. i think most ppl just use heat wrap on the lower half of the manifold to protect the oil pan. just leave the heatshield on.
yep, i made a thread about it a while back, still havent gotten around to doing it tho :lol:

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya my heat sheild rusted off so maybe next summer I should heat wrap the stock manifold to keep under hood temps down?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like it was said previously in this thread, you'll want to
oc_civic said:
paint the s**t out of the header with some high heat paint to protect against rust.. heat wrap IS fabric so can act as a sponge holding nasty rain water and such right up against the header tubing. without addequate protection you will get serious rust issues..

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One other thing that should be noted is that heat wrap will void the waranty on most aftermarket headers due to the cracking and rusting already mentioned. .