Heater Blows with no Heat (1996 USDM DX Coupe with A/C)

RonJ

Banned
how do you go about flushing it? how do you connect the garden hose to the hose?
Press firmly a nozzle attached to the end of the garden hose into the end of the heater hose and then blast mass quantities of water through the heater core. Direct the flow of water exiting the heater outlet hose to under the car.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay so to get the hose off go get a hose tool or hook tool... http://www.restockit.com/images/Product/medium/SGT13700.jpg Looks like this.... They run under 10 bucks and ANY time you remove a hose just hook it in and try and move it side to side to break the seal that has built up... But be careful not to pry with it as it will poke through the house... At any rate, I know the thermostat seems fine, but while your doing this flush your going to drain a lot of coolant, pop a new thermostat in, will take you 15 min and help in the long run... it should be replaced every so often anyways and for 10 bucks why not!
Where would you suggest I get such a tool?

And wow, I didn't know the thermostat was that inexpensive. Would you recommend going to Honda for this, or do you think an aftermarket replacement would be acceptable?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I finally got around to flushing that heater core. I used a T-fitting flush kit to make things easier, purchased from Advance Auto for under $5. Rebled the system after I was done.

Still no heat. I have not checked the valve, that's next on the list. Other than that, it seems like a bad heater core is the only other option, correct?

96civicej8

ronj u helped me before can u plaese help again

or anyone

can anyone help me out i have a 96 honda civic ex vtec and i drove today to the machinc to get some welding done and all of a sudden i see smoke coming from my hood and the temp on the car is high i stop and open the hood and clear smoke comes not alot so i check the radiator and its empty i add water and turn the heat on and it doesnt work i run cold water on the header it cools down i dont know whats happeing wen i arived at the machinic he she i might of blown a head gasket.. and when i drvoe it there it shounded dry and the engine wanted to shut off and shound close to a suburu and when i turn on the car a dry nosie comes up for half a sec and goes away i think i might of for got to add motor oil but i had put a whole bottle 4days ago any idea HELP!!! please b4 i let 900 go down the drain ..

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just got a 96 civic dx 5speed and heater was workng till i switched it to a/c to see that it worked. when i tried to switch it back it did not go back. i checked the connection at the firewall and realized that the controls inside the car was nothing changing the one on the firewall so i manually pushed it to heat. if you havent tried this it is worth a try as it couldve saved alot of time and money if you still havent fixed it

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just got a 96 civic dx 5speed and heater was workng till i switched it to a/c to see that it worked. when i tried to switch it back it did not go back. i checked the connection at the firewall and realized that the controls inside the car was nothing changing the one on the firewall so i manually pushed it to heat. if you havent tried this it is worth a try as it couldve saved alot of time and money if you still havent fixed it
Haha, to think it's almost wintertime again and I still never fixed this issue with my brother's Civic...

Thanks for the input, but I already verified that it does switch properly, both from the dash and from the actual valve. I removed the hose and inspected the valve, and it works fine, so I'm assuming the issue is the heater core, I've just been too busy to replace it.

sirkus34

more wood than noah's arc
I was thinking the heater core too. I had the same problem on an older hatch that I used to have. It worked fine one day.. next day it never got warm. If you put it on defrost on high does it fog the windshield? Mine did that after about a week of driving it without the heat working. I changed the thermostat and heater core. Also.. I'd recommend changing out all of the hoses. Nothing sucks more than coming out of a store and seeing a huge puddle of coolant under your car from an old hose blowing out.
Best of luck to you sir with your problem.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was thinking the heater core too. I had the same problem on an older hatch that I used to have. It worked fine one day.. next day it never got warm. If you put it on defrost on high does it fog the windshield? Mine did that after about a week of driving it without the heat working. I changed the thermostat and heater core. Also.. I'd recommend changing out all of the hoses. Nothing sucks more than coming out of a store and seeing a huge puddle of coolant under your car from an old hose blowing out.
Best of luck to you sir with your problem.
Yeah, I'm just not excited to do the heater core because of the amount of work required. I did just recently replace one of his hoses because it did start to leak, so I'll have to inspect the others, thanks.

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haha, to think it's almost wintertime again and I still never fixed this issue with my brother's Civic...

Thanks for the input, but I already verified that it does switch properly, both from the dash and from the actual valve. I removed the hose and inspected the valve, and it works fine, so I'm assuming the issue is the heater core, I've just been too busy to replace it.
haha ya figures i have my cable that connects the lever to the fire wall still to replace anyone have any ideas why that wouldnt be working. and how to run the cable?