heating problem '96 Civic - tried a lot

fisherman3825

problem: air is only barely warm and when the A/C button is pushed to defrost, the air cools off more but not all the way to cold, car interior will not warm up even close to comfortably warm

what works: A/C system cools in the summer, cable to valve in engine compartment connected and moves valve, fan at all speeds, buttons on dash to direct air, engine heats up and runs perfectly, no codes, no leaks inside or out, car is in perfect condition and has been very well maintained

what I have tried: thermostat replacement twice, flush cooling system and heater core thoroughly twice, bled the cooling system multiple times to make absolute sure there are no air bubbles, looked for leaks, checked for codes

This is my sons car and his pride and joy and I am trying to fix this for him because he has no money and he gets very cold when he drives it anywhere. Please, if you have ANY ideas I would appreciate your help very much.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
problem: air is only barely warm and when the A/C button is pushed to defrost, the air cools off more but not all the way to cold, car interior will not warm up even close to comfortably warm

what works: A/C system cools in the summer, cable to valve in engine compartment connected and moves valve, fan at all speeds, buttons on dash to direct air, engine heats up and runs perfectly, no codes, no leaks inside or out, car is in perfect condition and has been very well maintained

what I have tried: thermostat replacement twice, flush cooling system and heater core thoroughly twice, bled the cooling system multiple times to make absolute sure there are no air bubbles, looked for leaks, checked for codes

This is my sons car and his pride and joy and I am trying to fix this for him because he has no money and he gets very cold when he drives it anywhere. Please, if you have ANY ideas I would appreciate your help very much.
does all the hoses get hot?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
it indicates a some sort of blockage in the line. just think if it in a way when you squeeze your wrist hard and your hand start turn colors you'll also notice it start to feel cold to touch and thats cause of lack of circulation of your blood

dancam

Registered VIP
Especially the hose leaving the heater core. When you flushed it did it have good flow through the heater core?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bairdandrew77

Also make sure the valve and blend door is opening and closing. Those are what switch it from hot and cold, maybe the cable fell off. Happened to me before.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

fisherman3825

it indicates a some sort of blockage in the line. just think if it in a way when you squeeze your wrist hard and your hand start turn colors you'll also notice it start to feel cold to touch and thats cause of lack of circulation of your blood
I checked and all hoses are warm except the lower radiator hose. Don't know if that is a problem.

When I flushed it (twice very thoroughly) the flow was very good and clean.

i hate that it happens....
The valve in the engine compartment opens and closes and the cable is on.

Don't know where to find the blend door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I checked and all hoses are warm except the lower radiator hose. Don't know if that is a problem.

When I flushed it (twice very thoroughly) the flow was very good and clean.
your lower radiator being cold mean theres is some sort of bloackage your thermostat are right before the lower rad hose so your thermostat isn't opening up as it should or its opened partially, i would replace it.

fisherman3825

I have replaced the thermostat 2 times just recently. What are the odds of both of them being bad? I can replace it again if there are no other possibilities.

bairdandrew77

Blend door is under the dash. I don't know the process to get to it on your car, but it's inconvenient on the older models.

Are you letting the car get up to operating temperature before feeling the hoses? Feel them right after going for a drive. And which thermostat are you using? That's a part where I only use OEM, cheaper parts store stats always gave me more trouble. Same with their gas caps and screw extractors, but those are other stories... point is OEM thermostats are better. Make sure the coolant is bled properly. Even if you think it is, just go and double check.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Blend door is under the dash. I don't know the process to get to it on your car, but it's inconvenient on the older models.

Are you letting the car get up to operating temperature before feeling the hoses? Feel them right after going for a drive. And which thermostat are you using? That's a part where I only use OEM, cheaper parts store stats always gave me more trouble. Same with their gas caps and screw extractors, but those are other stories... point is OEM thermostats are better. Make sure the coolant is bled properly. Even if you think it is, just go and double check.

he was over heating

I have replaced the thermostat 2 times just recently. What are the odds of both of them being bad? I can replace it again if there are no other possibilities.
have you replace the water pump? or know if the water pump on it is still original one?

possible the water pump can't keep the proper pressure in the lines. and as he said bleed it too if it sill doing it after bleeding a million times and replacing thermostat

fisherman3825

he was over heating
I don't mind throwing parts at it as long as something fixes it. My son drives the car every day in below freezing temperatures. A Honda dealer is not convenient to my home (about an hour away) but I will get to one and buy an OEM thermostat to see if that will work. The water pump and timing belts were done about a year ago by a professional. When I checked the radiator hoses it was right after my son got home but I will check again tomorrow. How could I go about following the blend door question since that seems to be the only other possibility? Unless somebody else has an idea I could pursue.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
sometimes there is a bleeder screw at the housing where thermostat is open it and you should see stead stream oozing out. if one is not present you leave the radiator cap open with the car running. if air is present it will come up

fisherman3825

Where in Washington do you live?
Eastern Washington

Eastern Washington
Yakima is my closest Honda dealer

your lower radiator being cold mean theres is some sort of bloackage your thermostat are right before the lower rad hose so your thermostat isn't opening up as it should or its opened partially, i would replace it.
I double checked just now and the lower radiator hose from the radiator all the way to the thermostat housing is cold and all of the other hoses are warm. Don't understand how it can be so cold. I'll replace the thermostat again but I don't get it.

fisherman3825

I am very happy to report that the OEM thermostat solved the problem 100%. Two bad aftermarket thermostats, wow, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself! I bled it for a long time after replacing it which I'm sure helped. Unfortunately, my son is sick now and I can't help but think that it was all the driving in a cold car that reduced his resistance and made him more susceptible to the bug he caught. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS, SUGGESTIONS AND HELP OFFERED, MUCH APPRECIATED.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I am very happy to report that the OEM thermostat solved the problem 100%. Two bad aftermarket thermostats, wow, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself! I bled it for a long time after replacing it which I'm sure helped. Unfortunately, my son is sick now and I can't help but think that it was all the driving in a cold car that reduced his resistance and made him more susceptible to the bug he caught. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS, SUGGESTIONS AND HELP OFFERED, MUCH APPRECIATED.
Nope. Cold weather doesn't cause colds. It's being inside more often, with lack of fresh air inside, which is basically a breeding place for viruses. Look it up. ;)

Glad you got the issue resolved! :thumbs up