Help Aligning Headlights Properly

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I tried aligning my headlights on my 96 coupe and it didn't seem to work. My headlights are oem and I followed the following instructions.

I parked 25 feet away from a wall. Then i measured how high the center of my lights is from the ground. That was 22 inches. Then on the wall i marked a line of 2 inches lower than that so 20 inches. And i aimed it to those specs.

Doing that made the low beans look like highs, and highs cannot even be seen on the road. What gives?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
try this: with your low beams on pull forward up to the wall, start backing up and see if the low beam's center goes up or down, they should be going down

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im going to assume that it would go up. Why would it go down?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im going to assume that it would go up. Why would it go down?
b/c your low beams should have a downward angle, so the further away from a wall you get the closer your headlight beam should get to the ground. you dont want your low beams pointing in the faces of oncoming traffic.. that's the job of your high beams :lol:

if your car is sitting on a flat road your low beams should be pointing at the ground about 50-60ft away

Last edited:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i made this to help lol

Last edited:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:werd:

Headlights should go down the farther away you are from the wall

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rofl yeah, that makes sense. Im kinda slow today lol.

But still, how do I aim it properly? I did everything those directions asked and its not right.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
screw the instructions if they didnt aim them right. just adjust them till they are correct.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I usually park about 40ft away from a wall and aim them to where about 6" of the wall is lit at the bottom.

zimzim

5+ Year Member
actually had a pair of headlights where the adjusters were all outta wack, they just wouldnt point down.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the instructions aren't working for you just park 30-40ft away and play with the adjustment gears/screws until they aren't aiming higher than the headlights/bumper of another car. Then fine tune them to get the right left/right alignment.

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So much for my dream of the optimum light output lol..

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aight I know this is old..but I tried aligning my lights yesteday again. I just cannot get the bubble to be in the middle. I can't get it to move actually...wtf?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol take it to the dealership

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
those f**kers wants 75 bucks to align lights...i think not!

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow $75 just to adjust headlights thats bull!!!!!!

Anyways I have the same problem my passenger side headlight is up way higher then usual and I have been trying to adjust down but I dont see a difference my driver side is perfect.

Which way should I turn the adjuster to get the headlight to aim downwards? Facing the car Thanks also I need to fix the front turn signal but ther is no socket and no harness what do I do

btw dont mean to thread jack thanks

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hint: if you have a powerdrill / electric screwdriver it makes quick work of aligning the headlights