help car noise(vid)

civic_spec_s

5+ Year Member
i thought my car just needed to warm up because of the winter but the ticking got worst. it sounds exactly like this vid i found.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJBWmD1cwx4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJBWmD1cwx4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

if that doesnt work than this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJBWmD1cwx4

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
:rolf: @ "Oh there's the f**king SOUND"

I dunno man, what kind of oil and filter you putting in her? and you said you did a valve lash adjustment?

civic_spec_s

5+ Year Member
fram oil filter/.
that vid is a different guy but my car is the same
how can u tell if its missfireing?
it also makes like a louder clicking noise when you go faster.

pyropunker25

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ mine does the same thing..i was told that it was our spark plugs making more noise...

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds likea rod knock,was it there before the valve adjustment?

D17

em2
5+ Year Member
hey my car makes the same sound just not that loud....but it only seems to do it when i start my car and i start driving it...and yeah i do let it warm up. but i also noticed it only does it around 3k-4k rpm but after driving around for a bit it goes away

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh and dont use fram filter anymore.
bosch, supertech, stp filters are of much better construction than fram :nono:

kaczor

5+ Year Member
mine did that for a little while until after i spanked a 1.8t jetta on the highway then it got real loud and a few days later siezed up on the way to the garage to replace the motor, spun a rod bearing! engine- $650 (junkyard with 24k on it), labor- $700, new clutch- $200 (needed that as well, slippin like hell). $1550 later- like it never happened, get it checked and drive easy til you do. blowin a stock d-17 sucks especially if you have to replace it with another do to funds :cry:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Now, I've heard of the "infamous Honda engine tick," but you sir, have something else wrong! I would give the head a thorough inspection, seems like one of your valves is closing but not opening. Sounds like it's repeatedly slapping the shaft end of a valve... :what:

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Now, I've heard of the "infamous Honda engine tick," but you sir, have something else wrong! I would give the head a thorough inspection, seems like one of your valves is closing but not opening. Sounds like it's repeatedly slapping the shaft end of a valve... :what:
How would that even happen? I mean what would fail in the valve train to cause a valve to slap around in there but not open?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
When a valve is open, that means it's pressed down correct? When a valve is closed, that means it's shut closed, in which the valve stem is up correct? If the spring tension is harden then the rocker arm wouldn't be able to press down and open the valve correct? Every time a cam turns, it hits the rocker arms to press down on each retainer on top of each spring correct?

Now, how all of this can happen, I have no idea. If any of this can even happyn, I have no idea. I was just putting it out there that that's what it sounds like. :what:

Nothing will be found out until you open up the valve cover and inspect the rocker assembly, if nothing is wrong there, I would then proceed to take the head off and check clearance issues with the valves. s**t, for all we know, the piston could be hitting the bore of the head! :what: ;):thumbup: :chuck:

(Damn, we don't have a Chuck smiley)

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm... I understand how everything in there works, I just have no idea if that is even possible or not. I thought you may have seen it or experienced it or something. I think the valve adjustment or seating or something like that is much more probable, but who knows... certainly not me.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I haven't experienced it personally, but I know someone who did! My friend was putting back together his rocker assembly after having all of the rockers slide off the rocker shaft :unamused: Anyways, I guess one of his rockers was stuck and wouldn't slap down whenever the cam lob hit it and caused this weird funk sound. Wasn't as loud as the OPs sound, but it was noticable :what: