help car will not turn over!

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know its not a civic but its a teg samething right =)

ok guys i am racking my brain right now! i have no idea what to do and i am lost. here is the deal, i got my wife a 96 integra 4dr. it needed some work and i am working on it. yesterday the driver side speaker was turning off and on, i took the radio out and i found an bad tape job. remember i just got the car i didn't do anything radio wise i just left it as is. so i fixed the wires and it was working i turned the car on and off while i was playing with the wires because i didnt want to cause a short or anything. so i wrapped it up and started the car and it started with no problems. this morning we go out to start the cars and the db doesn't turn on. i mean it didn't even turn over. all i got was one "click" first thing i thought was the battery, hooked up a jumper box that is fully charged same thing "click", ran jumper cables from my rx7 to the db the rx7 has a brand new red top in it and its charged because the trickle charger has a green light, same thing one "click" so i am lost now what do you guys think it is? starter relay? if it was i wouldn't get that one click right? ign switch? then again same thing i wouldn't get that one click? starter bad? what do you guys think?

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your fuses, check your radio wiring loom to ensure that none of the wires have moved and caused a short circuit (i know u said it worked fine the previous night but surely it would be worth checkin again), finally i'd have a look at the earth points under the bonnet and makes sure they are making good contact

Bpw32m

Got boost?
5+ Year Member
Did you try starting it with the cables still connected? If not then your battery might of lost its charge completely and is useless. My step fathers Denali(GMC) lol wouldn't start one morning out of the blue. When we tried strating the truck it only did one click as well but long story short the dealer replaced the starter and it works fine now no problems. Hope this helps good luck man.

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i took the jumper cables and had them on the battery from my rx7 to my civic and got the one click, with the jumper box i left the box connected to the battery, but before i put the jumper box on and after 4 turns of the key i did a volt test and i got 11.72 which is a bit low but not to low because i tried starting it a few times i think that might of drained it some. i tossed a trickle down charger on it for now so when i get home. but i asked a guy that does altenators and starters as a side job and he told me its the bednx(not sure if that spelled right) drive that is shot. it tends to happen with auto cars just out of no where they can just blow like that!

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you try starting it with the cables still connected? If not then your battery might of lost its charge completely and is useless. My step fathers Denali(GMC) lol wouldn't start one morning out of the blue. When we tried strating the truck it only did one click as well but long story short the dealer replaced the starter and it works fine now no problems. Hope this helps good luck man.
lol sounds just like my story i am leaning heavy to the starter also i will take it off and take it to advance auto and have then test it for me

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
If its a manual, push start it jumper cables are a waste of time >.<

I had this problem after i installed my fog lights, it only happened once. And my voltmeter read 12 volts, i ended up push starting it, being i only had one car around

It hasnt happened since but i think one of my power wires were shorting, ( i went back and heat shrinked everything )

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my vote goes to the starter. crazy scenario = bad/loose ground wire

try to push start the car

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didn't know you can push start an auto. i am going to check the starter as soon as i get home and see what happens

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i didn't know you can push start an auto. i am going to check the starter as soon as i get home and see what happens
:rolf:

...didnt realize it was auto :smackself

Bpw32m

Got boost?
5+ Year Member
no no no dont push start an auto he thought you had a standard lol where you can pop the clutch if you get the car rolling fast enough. Test the starter and get back to us because the car wont turnover at all even with the cables so the starter is still my choice. Good luck man

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i knew that he was talking about a manual its all good i wasn't going to go home and push start it i have a hill for a driveway no way i would get it back in my garage..lol so here it is. i took the starter off and did the home test with the jumper box got nothing. took it to advance and they got the same thing. then i bought a new one home and it started right up so it was the starter :D