HELP! Car wont start after maintenance!

drummer_jb

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey all I'd appreciate any swift advice!
Car: 2000 Honda civic HX 128k miles. Ran fine before maintenance.
Decided it was past due for timing belt change, so I parked it in a garage and worked on it when I had time over a couple weeks. It took about 3 weeks total in between working and waiting for certain parts.
Maintenance done while parked :
Replace timing belt, alternator belt, a/c belt, power steering belt, front cam seal, front crank seal, distributor o ring (mating to the engine), valve cover gasket, spark plug seals in valve cover, New spark plugs.
Reconnected battery cable, Refilled with oil and coolant, left cap off to fill while bleeding cooling system and tried starting today.
It sputtered a few times trying to start but eventually stops turning and starter continues clicking. It sounds like it's turning over kind of slow when it's sputtering for 3 seconds.
I freaked out thinking timing was off. I took valve cover off and splash shield and turned crank to TDC and checked cam - TDC ALSO. So my timing is on (belt side). Did I do something wrong with the distributor side? I marked 2 of the 3 bolts on it and when I put it back in the marks I made lined up, but I did not Mark the 3rd bolt. If that helps...
What could cause this engine to turn over but not run? What can I check next after timing? Rotor timing? I thought it only goes in one way because the notches are offset. Help me please!

drummer_jb

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok guys problem fixed. I was way overthinking it and took the battery and got it tested - dead after sitting 3 weeks. Bought a brand new battery and it fired right up. Let this be a lesson that even though you just did a bunch of maintenance, don't freak out, start at square one. It might be that simple.

conor97hx

You got super lucky.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk