Help, CEL is on. P0420

desimunda

5+ Year Member
Hi all,

I've a 99 Civic LX MT5, totally stock, with 88132 miles.

I've the CEL on. I got it checked from Honda dealer.

They said, its code P0420: Catalytic converter performance below threshold. They said that i've to replace the cat and said it would cost me around $850/- or more.

Upon a search in the forums, i found that I could hollow out the cat and replace it with an O2 simulator. (i don't know how to do it nor how it works).... but if i do that, will my car fail the emission inspection?

Also, I don't want to purchase a Genuine Honda part, What other brand is closely good in performance and cheaper than a honda part? Any suggestions and help would be great.

thanks a bunch

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

desimunda

5+ Year Member
thanks Rolla for that quick response,
but i'm skeptic about parts on eBay. never bought anything from eBay. I've heard mixed opinions about the site and have never tried my luck..

any other suggestions?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just take it to a muffler shop and have they install a new cat doesn't have to be from honda it will cost you something like $450, or if you can find a shop like i have here down the street that will take your cat out and have it remanufactured for $200, dont hollow out your cat and get a simulator thats the same as buying some bullshit test pipe off ebay, which means you fail smog

does your car running shitty with the faulty cat?

desimunda

5+ Year Member
Thanks so much Suanico for that response.
Ok, from that suggestion, i'm for sure not going for the simulator thing.

My car runs just fine, I haven't seen any performance reduction OR gas mileage reduction.
But, i sure here vibrations in the exhaust pipe when I shift from 1 to 2 to 3, and that is because i don't provide enough acceleration as to the gear the car is in..... (i don't know how much better to explain that)
I think that might be because of some loose exhaust pipe or muffler, its certainly not the cat.

i'm getting around 32 - 35 mpg, which was normal even before the problem started.