Help detecting a vacuum leak.

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
My cars been acting up on me and I really wanna get it fixed! I will be idling and check engine light will come on and once that happens car idles right at 1500rpm. When I lightly press the gas the rpms will jump from 1500 to 1700rpms. My car will be surging and shake like a b***h cause it really hard to drive. I have a simple car scanner which throws me P0505 which is idle control and I will delete the code and everything works perfect! I've checked under the hood and can't really find any leaks. I don't wanna take it to a dealer yet cause I'm worried about paying out of the ass. Now I was reading where you can "Choke the engine" or covering 2 holes and you can tell if you have a vacuum leak or not. I got a 99 Honda civic Si B16a2 and could anyone take some pics of the 2 holes? I've also took my idle control valve off and cleaned it which really didn't help much. Also when check engine light was on I popped the hood and the engine had like a repeating pumping sound to it. Sound like if you very lightly pressed the gas and let of and repeating doing that over and over again. I just wanna get this fixed so I can go out and drive!

RonJ

Banned
When the engine is throwing P0505 and has a high, hunting idle, pull off the intake and look into the throttle body opening where air flows. You will see two holes or ports on the inside wall of the throttle body. The upper port leads to the MAP sensor whereas the lower port leads to the IACV. Cover the IACV port with your finger. If the idle speed drops and fluctuation stops, then try to adjust the idle screw on the throttle body. If this doesn't work, then the IACV, ECT sensor, or TPS may be bad. If covering the IACV port does not affect the idle speed, there is a vacuum or intake air leak.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
top of the TB...^^^^^^^^^

I would spray carb cleaner around the areas u think are leaking. then youll find your leak

amaestre32

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
would a vacuum leak create bucking when your trying to cruise and have a steady pedal?

moebiius

5+ Year Member
my sister's '98 civic is doing that "choking" in the midst of throtling back up from accelerating then stopping. If I push on the gas slowly the car drives fine, but if its stop and go traffic and I need to get on the gas, the idle seems to choke and want to die unless I let off on the gas and slowly accelerate.

it threw a P0505 code idle control system malfunction

I've read all the posts, the symptoms don't match with all the IACV problems of fluctuating and hunting idle, unless this is just another form of the problem, any help would be appreciated!

for RONJ
I haven't done the coolant burping technique
I have taken the air intake system off and cleaned up the throttle body
I have covered up the elongated hole inside the throttle body but the car still runs (idles at 1000 in drive and 1500 on idle) still idles fine
I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter inside the engine bay
there's no vacuum leaks (don't know 100% pretty sure tho)

whats next? any ideas?

RonJ

Banned
my sister's '98 civic is doing that "choking" in the midst of throtling back up from accelerating then stopping. If I push on the gas slowly the car drives fine, but if its stop and go traffic and I need to get on the gas, the idle seems to choke and want to die unless I let off on the gas and slowly accelerate.

it threw a P0505 code idle control system malfunction

I've read all the posts, the symptoms don't match with all the IACV problems of fluctuating and hunting idle, unless this is just another form of the problem, any help would be appreciated!

for RONJ
I haven't done the coolant burping technique
I have taken the air intake system off and cleaned up the throttle body
I have covered up the elongated hole inside the throttle body but the car still runs (idles at 1000 in drive and 1500 on idle) still idles fine
I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter inside the engine bay
there's no vacuum leaks (don't know 100% pretty sure tho)

whats next? any ideas?
All vacuum hoses connect to nozzles on the intake manifold. Disconnect each hose one at a time and then cover the corresponding nozzle with your finger. If the idle speed drops to normal for any disconnected vacuum hose, there is a leak in that hose system.

If there are no vacuum leaks, then the throttle body or intake manifold gaskets/bolt torque should be considered next.