HELP!! engine not starting, ecu problem?

ally138

Hey folks.

Had my dash swapped over but I don't remember unplugging any other harness plugs. Reconnected the battery, wanted to start up engine and usually the check engine light shows and goes away after you hear a tick from the ecu. And you can start it. Engine won't start at all and doesn't show the engine management light at all. Any idea anyone? Thanks in advance!

Video:

How it is suppose to work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HnAVln4Nmo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And now not starting (excuse the loud breathing, that's just me getting agitated lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkcWSJXLWY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
You don't say it but I'm assuming the PCM is plugged in? Probably should just check PCM fuse and/or trace any wiring that was moved/disconnected during the swap.

ally138

You don't say it but I'm assuming the PCM is plugged in? Probably should just check PCM fuse and/or trace any wiring that was moved/disconnected during the swap.
thanks for your reply! What's the PCM? and is this fuse located along with the other fuses next to the steering column? Yeah I was gonna plan to take the dash back out and look for the problem but it got dark so will get up nice and early tomorrow!

i discovered these though

but I dont remember disconnecting them and I have been told they are bridged to diagnose the ECU :S

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
PCM = powertrain control module, also called the ECU and ECM, depends on who you ask but its all the same thing. Later tonight I may look up an electrical diagram on those connecters bc I'm not sure what they are. What are the wire colors for the two connectors? One of them may be the one that you jump when setting the timing, in which case it doesn't plug into anything.

ally138

PCM = powertrain control module, also called the ECU and ECM, depends on who you ask but its all the same thing. Later tonight I may look up an electrical diagram on those connecters bc I'm not sure what they are. What are the wire colors for the two connectors? One of them may be the one that you jump when setting the timing, in which case it doesn't plug into anything.
Ah sorry my bad lol. well I just put the dash back together and the engine management light showed up! so the ECU is responding somehow.. engine started. ran it for a minute then popped back into the car and touched some wiring by accident and engine cut out! must have been a loose ignition wire i'm presuming.

Then I found this thing and pressed it

And afterwards that's when the ecu decided to respond again on the second turn to the key! I'm not too sure what this thing is but it's behind/ under the climate control wiring and goes along with the radio plug. I'm scared that if i drive the car and hit a bump the engine might cut out!

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Is there any kind of part number on it? Thats weird I have never seen that "button" or whatever it is. Anyway glad you found it.

ally138

Is there any kind of part number on it? Thats weird I have never seen that "button" or whatever it is. Anyway glad you found it.
i'm actually not sure... that's what i thought too.. I was sitting thinking and randomly picked that thing up which i assumed and still think could be a resistor. another guy on ek9.org says it could be a safe switch to turn off the engine in the event of a crash maybe? and then the ECU could possibly be reactivated by pressing it. I'm going to have to investigate it tomorrow..