HELP engine/trans noise

molokai_2008

Ok so i have a 1996 Honda civic lx, manual trans. It make a rattling noise, everytime i start the car and let it idole. But when i put it into gear the noise goes away, although everytime i step in the clutch to switch gears the noise is there until i let the clutch out again. When i pop the hood i can hear the noise clearly which makes me think its something to do with my engine, although im thinking it could be something in my trans. My a/c compressor just broke to, this may be irrelevant but i figure i add it in anyway. Any ideas on what this could be??? any insight would help i'd rather tackle this problem myself rather than take it into a shop...

Thanks...

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so i have a 1996 Honda civic lx, manual trans. It make a rattling noise, everytime i start the car and let it idole. But when i put it into gear the noise goes away, although everytime i step in the clutch to switch gears the noise is there until i let the clutch out again. When i pop the hood i can hear the noise clearly which makes me think its something to do with my engine, although im thinking it could be something in my trans. My a/c compressor just broke to, this may be irrelevant but i figure i add it in anyway. Any ideas on what this could be??? any insight would help i'd rather tackle this problem myself rather than take it into a shop...

Thanks...
its most likely the trans... either the t/o bearing or the main bearing in the trans.. if its the throwout bearing all you gotta do is take the trans off and replace it.. if its the main bearing you will need to crack the transmission open to repair it..

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
most likely your input shaft bearing, not a good thing. If that is the case and you dont know how to open up a trans then you will be spending a bit of money...

stateofjustin

'Throw out' bearing is actually the 'Clutch release' bearing in a FWD car (transaxle). The term is used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing or part.

This is one of those times I'd be checking the fluid level in the manual trans, though if that was low I'd expect more noise and all the time.

The noise could also be the clutch disc springs, sometimes they are actual metal springs, sometimes they are rubber. Many times they get loose or something breaks and they make noise when they are free (not being sandwiched by the pressure plate and flywheel.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a bad input shaft bearing will cause noise only when the transmission is spinning, such as idling when the clutch is not pressed (engine is spinning input shaft), or during driving. if the noise stops when you press the clutch in then it is probably your ISB

gojrracing

Thanks...
used engines

I agree with civic99. It is really a bearing issue. But if you want for further evaluation kindly post some photos of your engine or trans. So that we can clarify the problem. =)