Help! Engine won't start

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check all your hoses on the intake manifold...if ones cut or detatched....

other than that...no idea

peyton101

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had the same problem I think, car turned over but wouldn't start...my buddy works at a local Honda dealership, told me to change the main relay...I did and it worked, he said they sell about 10 a week.

it's under the streering colum, it's a grey 2x3" box it should say relay assmly or something like that.

try that it should work.

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It aint got no gas in it, mmmhhhrrrmmm, lol, jk

I dint take the time to read everyones replys but here is some things it may sound like.

1)you said your spark plug was soaked with gas, that's NOT GOOD. This may mean there is too much fuel being put in to your cylinders. Maybe a broken fuel regulator or busted injectors.

2)check your spark plug wires again. There is a small chance you may have gooofed up the firing order. I know I made that mistake a few times.

3)got a long ram cold air intake? Been driving in heavy rain lately? You may have some water in your engine. Water=BAD.

4)oil? When was the last time it was changed, or checked for that matter.

5)idle sensor. It could be broken.

To dignoce this better, I would have to see the car. Did you do any mods resently? What was it acting like b4 this all happened? Is there anyone who hates you enough to put something in your tank?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure if the problem is fixed or not, but here are some suggestions. If it is flooded, DONT unplug anything, just simply get in the car, and hold your foot to the floor on the gas and crank it over to get air in there. Have you had any grounds apart on the car? Check the injector clips with a noid light, or a test light to make sure they are working. And if all else fails, just borrow an ecu from someone and see if it fires with that

Goodmayn

5+ Year Member
just a thought, but when my car wouldn't fire i was actually mising a fuse... so when i checked all the fuses they were fine, but the one that i needed to get her going wasn't actually in it's little spot in the fuse box... (thanks to orfus5 for finding it) =) figured i'd throw in my .02

ubeakin4me

5+ Year Member
just a way to save you some money there is a way to test your main relay on your vechicle using a multimeter. the chiltons manual or whatever your using shows you how to. I would go with what DAF said when he mentioned fuel pressure regulator it sounds like your getting to much fuel, but letting your car sit out all night should have allowed the fuel to evaporate enough to get somthing out of it. I also wanted to know when did this happen and if the car had been sitting or if you were just driving one day and it died. DOUBLE check your firing order....and make sure that your car is firing on each cylinder when it's supposed to.(rotor pointing at the correct cylinder)...is it possible that you put the new distributor 180 degrees out?(installed the distributor when it was on the exhaust stroke) im not sure if it's possible with honda's but I definetly know that it is with chevy's and o/ domestics. If you have access to it try renting or buying a fuel system tester, just to make sure that your pump is supplying enough pressure. Couple of ideas to chew on GOODLUCK!

tocivic

5+ Year Member
Thanks for all your suggestions! I bought a comrpession tester today and found the following at wide open throttle while cranking the engine:

1) cylinder #1 has 100psi of compression
2) cylinder #2 has 100psi of compression
3) cylinder #3 has 130psi of compression
4) cylinder #4 has 80psi of compression

The compression of each cylinder does seem low, correct? Also, the variations between then is greater than 28psi (which is what the limit is, according to the service manual). So, with these compressions, do you think the engine should even cough when starting fluid is sprayed into the air intake/throttle body?

Thanks!

moparfan

5+ Year Member
compression does seem low, but if it is flooded, that will happen...
did you check valve adjustment? cam timing?

tocivic

5+ Year Member
I've dried up the engine by removing the spark plugs and let the engine dry up over a few days. Can anyone tell me with those compression numbers, shouldn't the engine at least cough when starting fluid is sprayed into the air intake?

Please let me know. Thanks.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tocivic said:
Thanks for all your suggestions! I bought a comrpession tester today and found the following at wide open throttle while cranking the engine:

1) cylinder #1 has 100psi of compression
2) cylinder #2 has 100psi of compression
3) cylinder #3 has 130psi of compression
4) cylinder #4 has 80psi of compression

Thanks!
If possible do a leak down test.. The car i was having trouble with has 2-4 messed up valves.. not sure if they are bent or not but it did read alright on the compression test.. they read between 130-140, i wasnt there so i dont know exact numbers..

tocivic

5+ Year Member
I added a few drops of oil in each combustion chamber and here are the compression test results:

1) cylinder #1 has 150psi of compression
2) cylinder #2 has 150psi of compression
3) cylinder #3 has 140psi of compression
4) cylinder #4 has 130psi of compression

So it seems that the compression looks ok? However, the engine will still not start. Can any one please help? FYI, I'm getting strong sparks from each of the 4 spark plugs (sparks jumped a 1/2" gap), but the spark's colour is yellow/orange - someone told me that a good/strong spark should be blue? And I'm getting fuel in the combustion chamber. The engine did try to cough for 1 to 2 seconds after I've dried up the spark plugs - they were covered with fuel. After the 1 to 2 seconds coughing, the engine won't even cough - just crank, crank, crank. I've tested the ECU, main relay, fuel pump and they are all working properly. The battery is fully charged.

99siracerman

5+ Year Member
dude did you try taking out your plugs and checking spark and timing if you dont kno timing i can walk it through yoou easy jw if you needed sum help let me kno

99siracerman

5+ Year Member
o woops i didnt read you whole thing if you dropping compresion from one side to another you might have to torgue your head down whoever did it might have done it in the wrong order thts what happenedto me with my ls