Help Erratic Idle

nrvmotorsport

5+ Year Member
Hey everyone, right i've had this problem for about a year now. All started when the wading inside my old backbox fell apart and blocked the exhaust causing it the gases to come back into the cat and engine. During the time of limping home, gettin overtaken on hills by lorries, the idle once engine is warm goes from 800rpm to 1500rpm constantly.

I have done the obvious and got another icv and still had the same problem. I have changed the throttle body with no effect also.

We discovered the icv was having problems knowing whether to be open or closed. Hence this jumping revs.

Does anyone know of any sensors on a Honda Civic that may cause this. I am gonna get a new Intake Air Temp Sensor to try and maybe a coolant temp sensor.

It only does this once the engine has warmed up telling me it isn't the icv but something that talks to the icv. Something that may have got damaged by the exhaust gases, lambda sensor and cat reads fine as passed mot.

Oh yeah other thing is, I had the icv blanked where the air and water runs through and it didn't idle at all which is what was expected so again i dont think its the icv.

Other things done -
Changed the whole head and relevant gaskets. Still on now.
Changed intake manifold and throttle body. Still on now.
Resistances have been checked on sensors.
Dizzy n rotor arm have been replaced.
HT Leads have been replaced.
Spark plugs have been replaced.
ICV has been replaced.

All ideas will be appreciated. Will be nice to be able to have a car that don't rev itself!!

Car is a 1998 1.4 SOHC Honda Civic MB2 (cable throttle)

Thanks

SoundZman

5+ Year Member
What about the Throttle Position Sensor? Is it throwing any codes? Try setting the idle speed without the iacv connected, then connect it and reset the ecu (remove the battery cable for 30 sec.). Fire it back up and let us know. Not sure if the MAP sensor could cause this but didn't see you mention it.

Also when I was troubleshooting my iacv issue I read about people having to get a radiator flush (you can probably just drain and refill) to get air pockets out that may be stuck in the iacv, as you know it is water cooled.

nrvmotorsport

5+ Year Member
Have managed to sort this problem, it was down to the dizzy being about a degree out and a slight split in one of the vacuum hoses. Still have slight problem of over idling when no lights and heater ona nd under idling when there on lol

Thanks those that advised on possible causes