Help!? How To Primer A Car?

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
So I Decided I Dont Wanna Waste Money On A Paint Job Right Now, But I Still Dont Like The Faded Green Color On My Civic. So I Decided To Primer It.can Someone List The Steps In Order To Primer A Car? Thanks!

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its true you should google, but rough instructions are, wash it, dry it, sand it down, you can get sandpaper from autozone, research what sand paper to get. are you primering with spray paint in the cans? i hope you know how to spray even coats so you dont get drips on the primer, also you should do 2 -3 coats to make it look good, might have to sand it more than once but im not sure, but just tryin to help.

hondamnit99

5+ Year Member
i just primerd my car, and used a paint gun. the hardest part for me was getting it on even before it dried. i got the car primerd and now it kinda has a few streaks. i didnt take my time and i regret it. so take your time and might as well fix any dents you may have while in the process. i dont recomend the spray cans..

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i have a new spray gun i'll sell you, click my for sale link in my sig for details.

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first of all ur gonna have to wash the car,,,,then scuff the whole car down and remove all the clear coat get urself a few 3m scuff pads and start scuffing away scuff it up enough so u have a good haze on the entire car. then wash again get off all the dust...then in a dust free enviroment u can start spraying....use a spray gun do not and i repeat DO NOT USE SPRAY PAINT cause ur gonna make more work for yourself u will not get an even layer using a can....cans r very inconsitant in pressure...and take your time and use a tack cloth inbetween light coats with long even sprays evenly spaying coats one at a timebe patiant after maybe 5 coats its time to sand with a light grit paper then the 3m pads again and then ur ready for your base coat clear coat or enemal paint....but honestly if u never painted a car b4...i wouldent start now thats just a ruff description on what u have to do...painting is tough and u may even make it worse than it is already...or even more expensive to fix

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The only primer that will hold up to the weather is epoxy primer, and that's only for
awhile because all primers have no UV protection.
Primer in a spray can is lacquer and has no protection qualities at all.
Lacquer primers soak water like a sponge, it goes right through.
That's why they're not intended for bare metal, it'll rust underneath.
Primer in a spray can is useless for out door exposure.:cool:

UndergroundJDM

I am looking to repaint my car.

DO I NEED TO REMOVE ALL THE PAINT TO THE BARE METAL?

OR

IS IT ONLY FOR THE AREAS THAT NEEDS BODY WORK

FOR THE AREAS THAT ARE NOT DENTED, CAN I JUST SAND IT DOWN JUST SO THE CLEAR COAT IS OFF AND THE PAINT IS DULL AND ROUGH

Trekk

Registered VIP
Why ask a question in a thread from 2009? Just make a new one.
It really depends on the condition of the paint you are working with. If the clear is in decent shape, you can just sand it with some 500-600 grit and paint right on the clear. You dont have to remove it, unless its chipping/flaking off.

If you go down to the metal, the correct way would be, bare metal, epoxy primer (2 coats), 2k primer (2-3 coats), BC (3 coats), CC (2-3 coats)