help. idle problem

exSedan

once the car warms up and the car is idling rpms start to drop and the car shakes but does not turn off.also when i am driving and i brake at a stop light it seems to trigger the problem even more. all help will be appreciated.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First, what model, year, engine do you have?

95coupeEX

Try taking the IACV off and cleaning it and maybe try adjusting the plunger n make sure its good. That'll give u a starting point, and make sure u bleed ur cooling system good after you put the IACV back on or you'll have air in the lines.

cstanton01

Guahan Civic Owner
I've got the same issue right now! It almost feels like the car is going to die out when waiting at a light, but never does. So you're saying to make sure there's no air in the coolant lines? How can you bleed those?

marneli10

Registered VIP
Clean the sencer that is behind the mani it has a black cap I forgot the name of it lol clean it with gas I had the same problem and I did that and it stoped

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
if the iacv and cooling system are free of air theres a ajustment screw on the throttle body its a flat head if you reverse the screw meaning loosin it will raise ur idle. do it with the car on so u can check ur idle speed

Gunner

Registered VIP
idling issues can mean several things...are you throwing any codes?

could be spark plugs, your distro, the coil, could be a lot of things.. but run your typicall checks on your ingition system..

also when you post try to be more specific..let us know if you have checked anything yet..what year make what mods and stuff like that.

95coupeEX

You can adjust the idle screw to bring up the rpm's when at idle but its most likely not going to help b/c if the car is dying or idling really low and trying to shut off when you stop then you have another issue, its not the idle screw IMO. It should idle at like 850-950 rpms so dont turn the idle up to much.

Jumbotoboy

i had a idle problem also. check your iacv. this what mines looked like when i first took it off after buying my car from some guy... its fixed now. before and after pics. previous owner shoved a piece of plastic in the hole and the part that spins wasn't spinning freely...

JDM 94 EG Hatch

Initial D
Registered VIP
my car does this fluctuating idle. but it always happens when i add something to the car electronic wise... so for ex. i added some fogs, idle fluctuated then i drove for a while and ecu adjusted, then removed and its happening again... so i believe it also can be an ecu thing with adjusting how much voltage and crap to use idk how to explain it but did you add ay electrical things to your car?

civicjunkie73

5+ Year Member
I am having same problem. I had posted a thread before I found this one. I think I am defintely going to go the IACV route. Seems to be most logical way to start.

SoDak

i have the same problem, i have a 92 DX with a D15B7. i have replaced the IACV, the dist cap rotor plugs and wires are all about 6 months old. i have tried to reset the ECU as well, that worked for about 5 mins. any suggestions?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
my car does this fluctuating idle. but it always happens when i add something to the car electronic wise... so for ex. i added some fogs, idle fluctuated then i drove for a while and ecu adjusted, then removed and its happening again... so i believe it also can be an ecu thing with adjusting how much voltage and crap to use idk how to explain it but did you add ay electrical things to your car?
your probably have a weak battery or alternator and the extra power from the fogs is draining power

to everyone with idle issues

check IACV first (usually a fluctuating idle)

check vacuum (high/low idle)

check fuel pressure (trying to die at stops or sitting idle)

Decipher

Registered VIP
Has anybody found a definitive fix for this? Another question is, if the IACV is the culprit , then would a consistently low idle tend to get better (higher) with colder weather?

I've been having this exact idle issue for months now: idles perfect when first cranked, or even when cranked (but not put in gear) after it's warm... idles low after warming up while driving, extremely low when stopping at lights. But now that it's getting cold outside, I notice when the sun goes down, or first thing in the morning it doesn't idle low, even once the car's warmed. I don't f***ing get it.