HELP !! Leaking oil. Broke oil pan thread or screw?

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First time i am doing the oil change on my car.

Got a honda filter with castrol gtx 5-30w.
I lifted my car, removed the oil plug, and stupid thing flew into the oil pan with oil...lol took it out dried it with paper towel. then powerd some fresh oil in till fresh oil was comming out. put in new o ring washer. Then started to turn the oil plug... i realized at first it was little hard then it got very very very soft where i needed almost no force with the wrench...... i figured oo it might be a saftey or something...
so i changed oil filter. then i realize i am leaking oil not much but I AM....

did i dethread the bolt or the threads on the oil plan or do i just need to screw it in more??

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its comming from the bolt. took it to my mechanic, he started turning it with his fingure and said its been dethreaded. he said wait till monday he can take off the bolt and put a peice of plastic instead for the thread???

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What is a toggle plug?
What is this plastic thing that my mechanic was talking about?
Can't I just use an oversize plug and make new threads by forcing it in?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dang...I don't know what to tell ya bro..i've never had that happen to me.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either get a new oilpan, or tap/drill the bolt out, and get it re-threaded (you'll have to use a bigger bolt).

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ Yeah, he is right either re-thread and use a bigger bolt or get a new pan.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I forget I bought a new one a few years ago. prolly around 200 bucks.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Find one at a junkyard, or find someone online w/one.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you do your oil changes ass backwards

recall

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i worked at jiffy lube and a oilpan bolt was detreaded we would just find another bolt that was alittle bigger and use that and never had any problem.. just alittle harder to get out..

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ This is why you should not get your oil changed at jiffy lube!

Gradeless

RICE FTMFW !
5+ Year Member
i just had this problem happen to me..... i took it to walmart to get a quick change done cuz i was running low on time.....dumb..... and they pulled the threads out of my oilpan with the bolt...they put a temp. plug it....what your mechanic was talking about and told me ii needed to have it retapped .... the problem is that it is an alumminum pan and i couldnt find anyone who could retap it and gaurantee that there wouldn't be any problems with it thereafter... so i bought a new pan for like a hundy and did it all myself.... they told me that with an alumminum pan it would be weakened by retapping it and the likelyhood of it stripping out again would be high....so it depends on how many times you want to deal with this problem....either temp fix it with a tap or change the whole thing for more reliability.....

it's an easy job even if you havent really done any hardcore maintenance before.... you might have to remove your downpipe from your header so you have enough play to move it outta the way of your pan when it comes out...other than that if you have a haynes or a chiltons manual you will be golden

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gradeless> only b$tch of a thing is i lowered my car, and its a piss off to do anything under it now.

Here's my mechanics solution. He said it shouldnt leak. when I want to change my oil i just turn it out...

what do you guys think?
it will hold up?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
get a new pan. you can find an oem pan online for a little over a bill

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am thinking of waiting till next oil change at 160km and change the pan and switch to synthetic.
i am low on cash now

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah... I did the same thing first time I change the oil in mine. I used a 1/2 drive to put the plug back in and stripped the threads off on the oil pan. :oops: I had to take the pan off, have my friend tap it out, and get a new plug. Its fine now. If you can live without your car for a few days, see if you can get a machine shop to tap out the hole. Its probably a lot cheaper than getting a whole new pan.

Gradeless

RICE FTMFW !
5+ Year Member
Gradeless> only b$tch of a thing is i lowered my car, and its a piss off to do anything under it now.

Here's my mechanics solution. He said it shouldnt leak. when I want to change my oil i just turn it out...

what do you guys think?
it will hold up?

yup that is exactly what they put in my pan and it still leaked....not a lot but it dripped all over my garage as soon as all the oil got back into the pan when it cooled down..... i'm telling you man get a new pan.... i only suggested working on it yourself because you willl get charged up the wazzu to have someone else do it... you shouldnt lower you car if it eliminates the ways you can work on it.... dont you have a low profile jack and a few jack stands? thats all i needed. it was a pain in the ass getting under there but i guess i just realy wanted to get my car fixed..... like i said before though...the only thing that is truley going to solve your problems is a new oil pan, whethor or not you do it yourself is your perogative. :roll:

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gradeless>
I'll get a used oil pan and do it when I have time. I am wondering what everyone is saying get a new gasket. Isn't a gasket just like silicon all around the pan so its a seal. How much is it?
Can't I just use silicon and then screw it on?

I am looking at my old drain screw and i see the threads I took out. They are stuck on the end of the drain screw....

I am going to check the next few days if i lose oil right now i am 1/3 a level over the two dots. So i'll see if it leaks or not.