Help lower my car

MILD99CIVIC

5+ Year Member
Need some suggestions CC. I want to lower my car and end up with a 4 inch clearance. What should I buy to achieve this? The car is a 99 Civic LX with stock suspension and EP3 wheels riding on 195/60/15 tires. I like the coilover idea since you can adjust the height.

jerseyhonda

Lowering springs should work although you will not be able to adjust. My suggestion from what I learned. DO NOT get adjustable coil over sleeves. Save up and get tru coil over, skunk etc. Ride like.sh** and depending on the drop.wanted requires fabrication (cutting strut perch). Hope that helps..

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Need some suggestions CC. I want to lower my car and end up with a 4 inch clearance. What should I buy to achieve this? The car is a 99 Civic LX with stock suspension and EP3 wheels riding on 195/60/15 tires. I like the coilover idea since you can adjust the height.
4in clearance where? From tire to fender? From ground to bumper?

Either way you'll likely need coilovers as no lowering spring drops a car 4".

You should also think about getting the right tire size. A 195/55R15 tire will drop your car a tiny bit alone.

What's your budget? What kind of ride quality are you looking for? What's your cars purpose(daily driver, spirited driving, track/autox)?

Lowering springs should work although you will not be able to adjust. My suggestion from what I learned. DO NOT get adjustable coil over sleeves. Save up and get tru coil over, skunk etc. Ride like.sh** and depending on the drop.wanted requires fabrication (cutting strut perch). Hope that helps..
This post is completely false!

There is NOTHING wrong with using good coilover sleeves. Ground-Control makes the best sleeves out there and are widely used in all types of competitive motorsports. To say they suck is quite a bold statement. I've had GC's on my race car for about 4 years with ZERO issues. By far one of the best purchases I've made on my car and worth every single penny. I highly recommened them to everybody. They even have a lifetime warranty..

Skunk2 rides like "s**t" because they have very high spring rates and valving to match, which is better suited for track/racing. If you did some research, you would know this and stay away from them if you were looking for a comfortable ride. You can very easily have a very comfortable ride with coilover sleeves. The fact that they are sleeves has nothing to do with ride quality. It's the spring rates and the shocks that determine that.

His car does not use struts so he does not need to worry about cutting or modifying anything to make use of any type of coilover setup.

MILD99CIVIC

5+ Year Member
4in clearance where? From tire to fender? From ground to bumper?

Either way you'll likely need coilovers as no lowering spring drops a car 4".

You should also think about getting the right tire size. A 195/55R15 tire will drop your car a tiny bit alone.

What's your budget? What kind of ride quality are you looking for? What's your cars purpose(daily driver, spirited driving, track/autox)?QUOTE]

4inch clearance from the ground to lowest point on car. Id like to spend less than $500. Ride quality 5 out of 10 would be great. Daily driver. Im always riding solo, so I could go lower.