Help!!! N00b Alert

Iakona

RaleighBoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, laugh all you want... i was in a rush last night and had taken my battery out in order to get a new one (ended up getting a yellow top but had to order it so i wont get it in until tomorrow now.) Anyways, trying to leave a friends house last night in a rush so i threw my battery from earlier in the car and tried to hook up the terminals... well my terminals are fawked so we thought nothing of the battery as me and my dad worked on it to get the terminal to tighten onto the battery (shitty terminals).

Heres where i get p0wned. In my hurried state i threw the battery in reverse from what it was supposed to be... it was dark and cold (excuse). Anyways, we hook the terminals up and sparks fly as soon as we threw the second one on and the horn went off... odd we thought... try it again cause thats not normal.

Well after we sat there and were puzzled we figured that im a complete idiot and threw teh battery in wrong... now i went to CC and got some new Tsunami terminals. Hooked everything up and NOTHING

So my question is did i blow a fuse(s)? Or is my battery completely dead (tried jumping still nothing).

Cliff notes:
Put battery in wrong
Tried to hook up terminals and got sparks and a horn
Next day got new terminals and hooked it up and still nothing
Question: Did i blow fuse(s) or is my battery just cooked???

BTW: I drive a 98 Honda Civic EX

Thanks guys! ... let the flaming begin

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
:rolf:

never work on a car in the dark especially in a hurry. lesson learned eh haha

you might of shorted a couple of things and blew a couple of fuses :what:

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reading your post makes me feel much better about what I did to my car recently....

Anyway, check the fuses under the hood, should be a fuse box near the battery. You may have blown more then one so probably be a good idea to check them all.

Good luck

edit: oh yeah, you'll need light to check them =)

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i hate to say it, but you might have fried the computer. hooking up the terminals backwards wouldn't necessarily send too much current thru anything [what burns fuses] but it would send the electricity the wrong way thru the circuit. this could fry diodes and transistors in the ecu. i hope for your sake that it is just a fuse.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i hate to say it, but you might have fried the computer. hooking up the terminals backwards wouldn't necessarily send too much current thru anything [what burns fuses] but it would send the electricity the wrong way thru the circuit. this could fry diodes and transistors in the ecu. i hope for your sake that it is just a fuse.
yeah, that would really suck. after thinking about it a little, the fuses are on the other side of all your electronics to protect surges, but if you were to reverse the polarity those fuses would blow after your electronics...

Iakona

RaleighBoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much is a new comp?... please tell me like $100... and the fuses looked good... and just nothing runs... accessories or anything, just a dead ass car.

survivorX

5+ Year Member
sorry to say it sounds bad though. probably computer is fried. but hey at least you got a yellow top on the way haha

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
return the yellow top n put that towards you new ECU
Yellow tops FTL, be ready to replace it in 1 yr.

Iakona

RaleighBoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ha, well just an update for you guys. I got a new battery fuse and installed it cause it blew, and also a new 25a fuse for my amp... Car runs like new so far. So no new ecu or ne thing as of now.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ahh, isn't a great feeling that it wasn't as bad as you thought? Makes me want to break something else on my car...nah, not really. =)