Help needed on a 2001 Civic EX sedan

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Hello guys, I just regisetred myself on this forum that seems pretty helpful.

So I hope I'm posting at the good place and I'm not going to make the admin mad for my first post ;)

So here's the deal. I'm looking to buy a used car, and it seems I found one at a car dealer not too far from where I leave.

So basically it's a 2001 Honda Civic EX Sedan 4drs, with 100,900 miles.

the price asked by the car dealer is 4,990$. I test drive it today, it seemed pretty good. I had it reviewed by a mechanic of my choice and they found that:

Oil has to be replaced,
The Wiper Blades
A/C Filter too
and a Headlight restoration is needed (By the way that's how I found this forum by "googling" this)

AND THE MAIN PROBLEM:
Crank and Cam seals leaking oil, replacement of seals and possible parts as well will be necessary to stop leaks.

Which can costs up to 500$ according to them.

So I want back to the car dealer with this but he doesn't want to negotiate the price he said.
His main argument is that he's 1,500-2,000$ below the blue book and that in the area the cheapest price asked for the car by car dealers is at least 1,000$ more and with more miles, so for approximately the same it's like 1,500$ more.

But I guess that you can always negotiate a difference between the sticker price and the final price.

My best shot is that I can pay cash (or with a cashier check).

I mean a said from a few painting marks on the rear bumper and some little things on the rear seats the car is in a real good shape

What do you think about it?

PS: I checked the VIN number on Carfax and there is no problem and was only one previous owner.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Have any pics? thats actually not a bad deal...

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Well I didn't take any pictures, but here are two not really good pictures from the car dealer website:

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thats a pretty good deal

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
seems like a great price, cant believe you found that in cali. your going to need the timing belt to be replaced as well unless you know for sure that it was changed, ie a reciept. while your at it get the water pump changed too it will save you in labor down the road. total cost for both is about 500.

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Ok, so do you think I should be able to negotiate a discount? I mean just for the pride, I can't see myself buying a car without a discount on it, at least 200-300$ "on the road" price.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do a package out the door price. he wants 4990 for it offer 5100 out the door, which means hes including tax and licensing. trust me thats a deal the prices for registration just went through the roof.

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
do a package out the door price. he wants 4990 for it offer 5100 out the door, which means hes including tax and licensing. trust me thats a deal the prices for registration just went through the roof.
Yeah that's something like that that I want to negotiate, 5,000 - 5,200$ tops on the road price.

Plus I have the money, it's not like I,m taking a loan or something like that. I can pay cash today.
In the crisis we are leaving in, that's an argument I think.

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Ok, I was too late, somebody bought it just in front of me, but it's ok, I'll find another car!

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Well yeah, but that's part of life. Yesterday I didn't have the money yet and today, If I've been there earlier, he wouldn't have lowered the price because there was another potential buyer.

Anyways I searched a little bit on the net and it seems they are a lot of dishonest guys. On a list of 8 potential buys, I'm now at 2 after a Carfax check (with odometers problems, cars salvaged, with accidents, flooded...)

So now on my 2 list, I got this:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=258614946&dealer_id=63766947&car_year=2002&rdm=1236090717145&model=CIVIC&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=86265&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&position=top&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=92110&advanced=&end_year=2010&pager.offset=25&doors=&transmission=&max_price=8000&cardist=3&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=251670810&dealer_id=63292885&car_year=2003&rdm=1236090717145&model=CIVIC&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=86265&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&position=top&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=92110&advanced=&end_year=2010&pager.offset=25&doors=&transmission=&max_price=8000&cardist=5&standard=false

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
get the silver one
at least an ex
save you the trouble of converting stuff later

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
Ok, but what do you mean by having to have the trouble of converting stuff later?

I mean the silver has advantages. It's an EX, with what goes with it and has options like premium sound and leather seats.

The red has been modifided, which can be good for HP and has an alarm, but this can mean that it was a tuning freak that either took good care of it or on the other hand really been rude with it depending on his use.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ex has a vtec head and sunroof and painted exterior pieces and sway bar

sokh1985

5+ Year Member
So a better engine, sunroof, painted exterior and the sway bar is for the stability right?

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yep and i think keyless entry idk though
i know my little brothers lx didnt come with that

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1.7l with vtec-e, rear sway, moonroof, painted mirrors, possible side impact airbags, keyless entry.

more parts are made for the 1.7 than the 1.6. if its a manual the vtec is more noticable.

xxSIfreak

5+ Year Member
If you haven't gotten it yet, I def recommend the silver EX. I have an EX (si in canada) and I love it. The sunroof is my favourite part :D