Help needed with my hatch's start up. i need to floor the gas pedal :<

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
so I have a 90's honda hb dx. d15 motor (3mil miles). i have fixed this car over and over to the teeth and i am seriously considering just swapping out the engine but all in due time. right now im just worried about starting up my car so i can go to work and such. It is fuel injected so i know that if i press the gas the ECT will cut the flow but for some reason my car will actually turn on better but i still have to keep it pressed for a klittle bit longer in order to run it and be fine but the second i have to start it up again, i again have to floor it. it has a 2011 catylist (new) . i feel it might be a clogged fuel injector (or leaking), an ECT gliitch, or bad fuel filter. I really need the help, thanks for all those who have knowledge on this :(

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
ummm need some, advice (any) needed and appreciated!

RonJ

Banned
When was the last ignition system tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and ignition timing?

Is the LED on the ECU blinking any CEL codes?

Spades

I just signed onto the forum but have been building Hondas since about '98. That could be caused by any of the things you listed but it could also be caused by others. Based upon the limited information you gave it is very hard to point you in the right direction.

If you haven't already done so I would start with a full tune up, plugs, wires, button, if cleaner, oil, air filter, and see if that improves the condition. Once you have done those, then it's time to consider the other things. For that, someone almost has to be there to go through them one by one.

Do you know have to check the ECU for CEL codes? Is the CEL on while its running?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
i dont know how to check for the codes, my dad is a mechanic but he is very far now due to his new job so he cant help me there. about two weeks ago i did the most of a tune up i could. recalibrated the engine (with help), new spark plugs, oil change, stp treatment

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
i know the timing for my car is a bit off but not crazy enough to make this happen, ive never checked for the wiring or caps. unfortuneatley idk how to fix those things. i just took a look at my oil and it shows signs of overheatment. and i also took off the fuel injection cover. the oil looks the same there but the cage thing looks bent out of shape for some reason. is that a prob. i also baught a new bottom and headers and while i was looking at the silicon seals there was a small hole behind the engine. idk if that was there before. i feel that it could be the cause of this

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
also im unsure how to upload pics from here so i can really show you guys what it looks like
:/

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
i havent turned my car on for a while, ill be gone for a few since i feel i should drain all that oil

RonJ

Banned
You've only done a partial tune up, and you need to set the timing to spec.

Here's how to check for codes:

RonJ

Banned
The diagram below shows how easy it is to remove the cap so that you can inspect it and the rotor.

If they and the plug wires are old, just replace them.

Attachments

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
wow thankks man that is extremely help full, here i was, thinking, that i would need to get a diagnostic test from a mech. after i replaced the oil and put in some more and after i put techron in the car, i took it out for a spin.. it started out ok. start up was good and ran well, even the check engine light didnt come on for a few secs. drove it on the highway and came back home :'( the car stopped right after i got off the highway. i tried turning it on but it wouldnt and there was white smoke coming out from the exauhst.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
i poppped the hood to check inside and there was a wierd smell, i checked the oil and it was fine, i loooked at the exaust and it was fine but right behind the exauhst there was a bitt of oil on the tank looking part of the exauhst. i followed the pipes and one of the joints appeared to have leaked a bit, oil or something. then i had the idea to check the injection. i took off the top part and i found (splashed all on the inside) what looked like coffee and milk/a light brown. that is how my oil looked like before but the oil looked fine when i rechecked...i seriously need help with that if that is a serious problem :(

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
The head gasket is blown.
hey ron thanks for all the help. your the only one replying.

is this what is affecting the ignition, and how could i have blown the head gasket, i just replaced them a month ago and i have taken good car of it ever since, and when it wouldnt turn on i just left it at home....i feel like i mutilated my car some how

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
the only time i didnt was the first time i was left stranded at the end of the highway and i floored the gas pedal to turn it on so i could get home and take a look, could i have (just like that, for those few secs) blown my head gaskets.

is there a way that i can upgrade the head gaskets so that they will last? and how much would it cost?

Spades

I don't think it's the head gasket you replaced. That's the one between the head and the block which requires you to remove the entire top half of the motor.

Is this the one you replaced?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
My honda is really old and when i first got it i hadnt checked the gaskets, i put oil in it and all sorts of stuff, but one day my car sounded like it was loosing power. kind of like an up and down sound. my car turned off on my and i procceeded to then check everything. changed the alternator, the catalyst, the starter, and when my dad took a look at the gaskets we both noticed they were burned out so we replaced them. and i have checked up on my car daily ever since