Help....newbie

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
since i installed my new type R short shifter into my 99-00 civic hx...second gear has been giving meh a probably.....it has been grinding alot.. the only times it grind it when i race tho...other then tat it drives fine...every time i launch my car i would never be able to get into second gear even when i press the clutch all the way through....it would still not let meh through....i was wondering if it was my tranny or do i just need more tranning fluid....HELP PLEASE....NEWBIE....:(

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Unless you somehow messed up the install on the short shifter (which shouldn't even be technically possible), it's most likely just your clutch.

Some people will argue that short shifters decrease the life on your tranny since you're shifting within a shorter distance between each gear so it puts more stress on the tranny. I don't believe that IMO.

It's probably just your clutch assembly. My tranny does the exact same thing. As a matter of fact, I can't even jam it into 2nd at all.

syclone

Total Noob
5+ Year Member
as the others have said, if you haven't had a problem before, it could be an installation issue or your synchro is starting to go bad. i hope you upgraded your shifter bushings as well.. it really does help..

jdm98coupe

JDM H22A with LSD
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont think its the syncros because that just means it wont stay in gear cuz my syncros went bad but it had nothing to do with the short shifter it was just because my whole tranny was bad. Chadi is right, check to see if you put it in backwards cuz you might of...

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not necessarily. My syncros are going as well, but it never pops out of gear. Just sometimes grinds a little bit when i shift quick into 3rd, and sometimes 2nd (but it's rare fo 2nd)

make any funny noises when your'e driving?

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
jdm98coupe said:
i dont think its the syncros because that just means it wont stay in gear cuz my syncros went bad but it had nothing to do with the short shifter it was just because my whole tranny was bad. Chadi is right, check to see if you put it in backwards cuz you might of...

i put the short shifter in rite.....

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i race i cant get it in....unless i slow down.... then ill be able to get it in... n my short shifter is in correctly.....

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
not necessarily. My syncros are going as well, but it never pops out of gear. Just sometimes grinds a little bit when i shift quick into 3rd, and sometimes 2nd (but it's rare fo 2nd)

make any funny noises when your'e driving?
nope

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its most likley your syncros then...i could never get it into second in my old car...and my 2nd synchro was bad...

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdm98coupe said:

Actually that was more then likely not your syncros...they have no part in keepiing it in gear.