Help, Oil pan plug stripped

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
Honda Civic 1998 ex
So when i was removing the bolt I saw that it was stripped. When I tried to put it back it just keeps spinning and occasionally get stuck. I went to Kragen/Oreilly to get a new 14M-1.5 oil pan plug thinking that it was only the bolt that was stripped, but it was to small.

My question is what should I do? I cant afford a new oil pan right now. I know you can get an oversize plug, so what is the next size up from the original plug?What tools would I need to make a new thread? Thanks

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you would need a tap, with the size and thread pitch of any bolt. and possibly a drill with the bit recommended for the tap. most home improvent stores have the tap and a bit in a pack for about $8. then you would just need the bolt. and im sure if you dont have a drill you could find someone that does that would let you borrow it for the one hole.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
Thanks, so whats the next size after 14M-1.5? I heard that if you buy an oversize bolt you can just ease it in the oil pan and it starts to form the new threads. Is that correct?

RonJ

Banned
To do the job correctly, you need to remove the oil pan. Considering this, just find a replacement pan at a junk yard.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ x2. I found one for 25 beans for my B series, so I imagine d-series wouldn't be more than that

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
Thanks, so whats the next size after 14M-1.5? I heard that if you buy an oversize bolt you can just ease it in the oil pan and it starts to form the new threads. Is that correct?
If things are really tight money wise, yes you can do this. just becareful and try to make sure you get any metal slivers out of the pan. if you do this i would make sure the oversized bolt will seal and pour some oil in the car. 1/2 a quart or so and then pull the pug to allow any metal to come out with the oil. I have seen a few people do this and have no issues. just take it slow and dont over tighten the new bolt.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you go that route get a self tapping bolt. it is slightly tapered at the end and should have some little notches on the end to help cut the new threads.

DaOne

just take the old bolt to the store and meassure it there, they have those display things where you can put the bolt through a nut to see what size it is. and just move up a size.. thats what i would do.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
so i went up to kragen and they didnt have the next size up of 14M-1.5. They said they didnt know and suggested I use a tap to make new threads. Is their instruction somewhere that shows how to use a a tap to make new threads. As well does anybody out there know the next size up of 14M-1.5? I try to google it but nothings shows up. Thanks

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
Does anybody know the next size up of 14M-1.5? I need a self tapping bolt, but i dont know what it is? It would be much appreciated if someone can help me out.

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Self tapping bolt is for tapping a new hole. You need to re-thread the hole and put a new bolt in it. It should match the thread of the tap that you use. The next size wont do anything.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
So how would I go about removing an oil pan on a Honda civic ex 1998? I ran into a problem removing the last 4 bolts. Since the exhaust pipe is on the way. As well the bolt seems stuck, what can i put to loosen it up. Are there any other parts i need to remove to loosen the bolts.

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
If the exhaust is in the way just unbolt it from anywhere u find easy and remove from hangers. It should dangle and give you enough room. If a bolt is stuck buy some pb blaster penetrating oil. Sold at advanced auto and pep boys prolly walmart too. Spray some on and let soak for 5 mins. Helps if hot too....i.e. the engine was running 10 mins. ago etc.Dont apply fire near your engine please. I've used a heat gun like for tint to speed up the process before.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
seems like alot of work, plus if you dont do it right oil will be leaking all over the place. my recommendation is to buy a new oil pan from the junk yard or craigslist. alot of guys sell cheap s**t on craiglsits and you could get it for hella cheap, i gurantee. so avoid any future headaches and buy a new pan, also get a new gasket =)

its that easy.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to take off the pan, you must remove the exhaust manifold. you also need a torque wrench, rent it for free at autozone. you will need it to torque the exhaust manifold bolts back on, i think they were 27 pounds/inch if i remmeber correctly.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
What does 27pounds/inch mean? Cant I just tighten back the bolts normal, or do I have to a certain pressure on it?

What happens if I do take off the exhaust manifold to get to the pan?

Thanks to everybody for replying to my post.