Help on radio install

davenick20

I just got a new head unit for Christmas and was wondering if i needed a wiring harness to connect the head units wires to the factory plugins or if i could just patch the wires directly. Also i can only seem to find a 2000 civic dash install kit. Will that work or anyone know of a cheap one that will fit? thanks!!!!

:cool:

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
You do need a harness for the car, and there is a specific 01'-05' dash kit avaiable!

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
You technically don't need it but to make things easier and cleaner get the harness. I go to best buy or something like that . If they don't have it they should be able to order it.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
You want the harness and the dash kit. You can hardwire the harness, but that's just tacky and a pain in the ass having to reach in there splicing wires.

http://www.metraonline.com
Part numbers:
70-1721
99-7899

Should be all you need, you may need an antenna adapter but not sure. Probably not.

gnos402

I have a 98 civic and at first was a little skeptical do to the fact that there was an extra clip for the stock radio I also had to unplug then the aftermarket one plugged right in it was $9 at walmart. also for mine theres a headunit kit to clean things up a bit or even google it o1-05 civic aftermarket radio install everybody does the swap and posts these days.

B16Ferio

5+ Year Member
go to www.crutchfield.com and look up your car. It will show everything that is available for you car. Its nice and easy! I just did a head unit install today and it only took 20 mins :]

emerican

Registered VIP
You certainly want to get the harness it will make it much easier cleaner and a whole lot easier if you want to change the head unit again at some point instead of having to undue a bunch of spliced wires. Also like stated above check out crutchfield

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I highly suggest you get the wiring adapter. I always got mine at wal-mart, 10 to 15 dollars. On the 7th gen civic if you touch the illumination switch wire to the dimmer or a hot wire to the illumination switch you can blow your illumination cluster, causing all your gauges to go screwy. Also causing your dummy lights and automatic shut-off system to be inoperable.

This is the reason I ended up blowing my motor. Spend 10 bucks and do it right, or risk blowing your motor?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
I highly suggest you get the wiring adapter. I always got mine at wal-mart, 10 to 15 dollars. On the 7th gen civic if you touch the illumination switch wire to the dimmer or a hot wire to the illumination switch you can blow your illumination cluster, causing all your gauges to go screwy. Also causing your dummy lights and automatic shut-off system to be inoperable.

This is the reason I ended up blowing my motor. Spend 10 bucks and do it right, or risk blowing your motor?
Im glad I said f-that when I installed the deck in my 02' LX!

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Crutchfield will have everything you need.

Get a harness. Solder the harness to the after market radio plug. Install n be happy

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

gnos402

No offence but, in my opinion crutchfeild is way overpriced just go to walmart or kmart.
My walmart has the same brand harness and head unit kits as my local stereo west auto
toys and auto sounds but about 1/2 of the price. Lincoln, NE Hope this helps.

JUST TRYING TO SAVE TIME AND MONEY

Last edited:

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I find crutchfield is normally cheaper

take a look...

cheap

not as cheap

also if you buy the head unit from crutchfield, which arguably has the largest selection you get all the installation kits, wiring harnesses for free, which nobody else does

Last edited:

gnos402

Ill take that back, I dont know if its just been awhile but you are definetly right they are even cheaper than
walmart or kmart. I should have checked thanks for the info

CRUTHFIELD IS CHEAPER

civic7g

I got my unit and speakers from Crutchfield and it came with harness and step-by-step printed instructions. The direction is quite good and pictures are accurate to my ES1's interior. I had no problem with unit installation following the directions. Give Crutchfield a try!

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Crutchfield is cheap, reliable, free shipping, best customer service you can get.

But yes get the harness for sure. I do head unit installs on a daily basis, much simpler, cleaner, and safer to just order the harness for 9 bucks and a dash kit for like 12 bucks. They come with instructions and are color coordinated for an easy install.