Help .....P28 with Chrome chip problem?!?!?

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well i bought a P28 EUu that is chip with Chrome and base map for turbo...what i was told. But anyway i got the OBD2b harness today and i went and put the ECU in then took it for a drive then ran into 2 problem....1. The car now idle at around 1500 rpm. 2. I can not go over 4100 rpm it seem like it is hitting the limiter! all gears does it! Does it have to do with, before i got the ECU i was running the stock ECU and the timming was retarded, would that be a problem? I can turn it back to stock timming and see it that would help! Plus can i use this wire to hook up my ECU to my laptop???<br>

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i'm pretty sure you gotta manually tune it using a computer

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it's not reliable to buy a chip w/ a map for your car in ebay off.. sound like bad tune.. do you get CEL? just get a other chip tuned buy xenocron or TMTuning.. ;).

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im going with a chip that wasnt socketed right.. could also need to be tuned to your car.. just hook it up to a computer and skimp through it to make sure your rev limit isnt set at 4k

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EG_CaSe said:
Im going with a chip that wasnt socketed right.. could also need to be tuned to your car.. just hook it up to a computer and skimp through it to make sure your rev limit isnt set at 4k
Actually i bough this ECU from a member here and it was for an automatic then i when and converted to a 5 speed. he say it was chip with chrome with a base map for turbo.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kikidawn said:
Actually i bough this ECU from a member here and it was for an automatic then i when and converted to a 5 speed. he say it was chip with chrome with a base map for turbo.

if it ran good in his car then your problem might be cuzed by your conversion.. i have a friend that chips ecu's and tunes them ill ask him what could be wrong..

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
additionally, i dont like the sound of it being a "basemap for turbo".... that sounds way too general.. WHAT turbo? WHAT psi? Injectors? Other mods? Etc....

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't know anyone around here that tune Chrome...that's why i am trying to learn the basic and try to tune somewhat by myself....At the top that picture of that cable that goes from the ECU to a laptop.....is that the wire i need? I haven't bought it yet so i am asking the members here.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
kikidawn said:
I don't know anyone around here that tune Chrome...that's why i am trying to learn the basic and try to tune somewhat by myself....At the top that picture of that cable that goes from the ECU to a laptop.....is that the wire i need? I haven't bought it yet so i am asking the members here.
that wire with the box is for datalogging. the actual chip will plug into the black socket on the bottom right. you need to have a chip burner to make changes to the chip (which isn't in the pictur) or else get an ostrich which makes it alot easier since you dont have to keep burning chips, its live-time updating. www.moates.net

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jay Jay said:
that wire with the box is for datalogging. the actual chip will plug into the black socket on the bottom right.

I just cought that when i read your post.. Shouldnt the ECU run like stock since the chip is out of the socket?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
EG_CaSe said:
I just cought that when i read your post.. Shouldnt the ECU run like stock since the chip is out of the socket?
yes it should, but he said he doesnt have the datalogging cable yet, so i think thats just a picture that he found on the internet. i dont think that picture is actually his ECU

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope that is not my ECU it is a picture that i found on the moates.net site. So if i want to change the setting , then i have to get a chip burner or a ostrich thingy?....i am learnning slowly but surely.

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kikidawn said:
Nope that is not my ECU it is a picture that i found on the moates.net site. So if i want to change the setting , then i have to get a chip burner or a ostrich thingy?....i am learnning slowly but surely.
sounds like you rush things...why modify your ECU when you still don't know it well enough
you're dealing with an engine... you make big steps, be carefull what tune you shoot in there

1999CivicEX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should research in your area or a max distance you are willing to drive to get a tune and see what they can and can't tune with. Once you know what be near by can and can't tune then thats when you decide what you want and not just buying a ecu with a base map. Unless this base map was made for your setup I feel you messed up

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the same thing happened to me and i was using an ostrich(emulator) and it was a bad cable so it was replaced and worked fine... check to make sure all your solder points are good then try again?

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shiznit said:
yes it should, but he said he doesnt have the datalogging cable yet, so i think thats just a picture that he found on the internet. i dont think that picture is actually his ECU
that wouldnt happen unless he cuts the jumper wire on j1 above r54, then itl run the stock rom. if he does not do this and tries to run the car with out the chip in the socket, itl run limp mode and run like crap...

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am going to try to run it without the chip in there and see what happen....but i didn't cut anything but the r17 and r18 then jump ( hardwire) the r18..because this was for an automatic and that was the way to turn it into a 5 sp that was on Honda-tech site. I bought this from a member here and he was running it on his civic he said. So i will let everyone know once i come home from work today on how it is without the chip.

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
that wouldnt happen unless he cuts the jumper wire on j1 above r54, then itl run the stock rom. if he does not do this and tries to run the car with out the chip in the socket, itl run limp mode and run like crap...
I just look at the ECU and the J1 was cut and now it have a jumper in it.....Is that right?

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well i am home now and i drove the car without the chip and it still do the same thing....so i went ahead and cut the jumper wire to turn it back to stock rom.....still the same thing but now my idle goes up to 2k then down and so on........

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turn the car on ..let it run to warm up ...them shut it off and take out the ECU fuse or disconnect the bat
after 5 mins start the car and don't touch the gas or anything
let it run for 5 mins
it should be able to recalibrate itself
I could be wrong ...was to lazy to read all the thread