Help Please: Problem after big brake kit install

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
Hey guys,
I just recently installed a wilwood 4 piston big brake kit on my 2000 Si.
after replacing the calipers/rotors i bled the system using a mac tools vacuum bleeder. It seemed to get all of the air out. yet when i push the brake pedal with the car running it feels spongy and goes down about 2/3 of the way with no resistance, even when the pedal hits resistance i can keep pushing it.

So naturally my first reaction was that there was still air in the lines, so i bled all 4 corners with the vacuum bleeder....no better. so i gravity bled all 4 corners, no air bubbles from the rear, and a few from the front. still the pedal feels the same.

I was leaning towards torn seals in the master cylinder from pumping the brakes without a piece of wood under the pedal to keep it in its normal travel range. (mistake i know, just slipped my mind) although the pedal stays up and firm when the engine is off. (the pedal moves down slightly before i hit resistance. could the effect just be amplified when the brake booster is working? causing the excessive free play in the pedal?)

as far as i know my master cylinder did not run dry while changing the calipers, at least thats what my friends say.

so next step is to remove the master cylinder, disassemble it and inspect the seals. if the seals are not blatantly damaged i will bench bleed the master i try again.

Am i heading on the right track?
any input would be great guys, thanks!

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How did you Bled the corners? Theres a certain sequence you have to do, you got to bleed em diagonally. Its getting late, I have to sleep lol, hopefully someone else finishes my sentence, sorry!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i believe the order goes front drivers, front passengers, rear drivers, rear passengers. you start closest to the brake master cylinder and end furthest away. hopefully i dont have that backwards :lol:

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
if i recall the honda manual says RR, LF, LR, RF.
im not sure.
i do know that i followed whatever is in the manual though.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if i recall the honda manual says RR, LF, LR, RF.
im not sure.
i do know that i followed whatever is in the manual though.
it definitely does not jump from RR to LF. i just cant remember if you start furthest away or closest to the cylinder, but after that it goes it order by distance

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your stock master cylinder may not be able to support the larger brakes. You might have to upgrade to a larger master cylinder that can supply the amount of fluid necessary. The stock one was designed to work with tiny brakes, and you're asking it to do WAY more than it was intended for.

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
it definitely does not jump from RR to LF. i just cant remember if you start furthest away or closest to the cylinder, but after that it goes it order by distance

I just checked the service manual. it does go from RR, LF, LR, RF, due to the car having a split diagonal braking system.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
crazy. the haynes manual doesnt say that. but yeah i would definitely go with the the honda service manual over a 3rd party manual on that one :lol: