help please!!!

99civicchic

:???: so confused my 99 civic lx died on me while driving down the road. before when it would just die out i would put it in nuetral and it would start back up but this time all that it does is try to start. im not that great at explaining things. but my car has been down for over a week now and i have 2 year old twin daughters that i need to have my car for. i've done a lil research on what could be the problem and im thinking maybe the coil. ive had a diagnostic done and the only code it threw was p0420 which is an 02 sensor. someone please help!!!!!!!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd head over to honda and get a new o2 sensor for your car then, after installing it make sure to do an ecu reset by taking off your negative terminal for a few minutes

Honda of Fife has a good parts department. I get a lot of parts from them

lowandslowek

po420
catalyst efficiency below threshold
i highly doubt that's your problem

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be your coil or igniter unit , (ICM) igniter control module..

RonJ

Banned
Your engine has probably been misfiring for a while because it was in bad need of a tune up. The misfiring resulted in a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust and this fuel burned inside the catalytic converter and melted it, resulting in code P0420.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Check your spark plugs and see what condition they are in. They could be fuel-fouled (black) if you have been misfiring. Or they may be worn down or have buildup. Spark plugs can tell wonders about what is going on inside your engine.

blknpurple

Does it crank at all? When you said you put it in neutral it would start, do you mean a rolling start? If it cranks but wont start, maybe a spark or fuel issue. If it clicks but no starts maybe your starter. If it starts but wont stay running maybe your alternator. If it tries to turn over but dies out, maybe your battery. Of course there are more reasons behind the listed issues, but these reasons are more common.

99civicchic

it turns over but no start. it turns over a lil fast too. battery is new. someone that im in school with also mentioned the plugs too. but it just seems like its not getting any spark.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take a plug out and put it in the spark plug wire..have someone turn the key over and see if there's spark.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
take a plug out and put it in the spark plug wire..have someone turn the key over and see if there's spark.
The spark plug can't ground if you do it that way. Have fun getting shocked lol. If its not getting spark, your plugs will be fouled. You need to start taking some things apart if you want to get to the bottom of this.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have to put it to something metal to see if the spark is there or what color the spark is

EK_GUY

Lots of things to check for those symptoms, common things to check are: is fuel pump priming? If so, is it right pressure? Main relay could do that, cap and rotor is a pretty common one, happened to me just a couple weeks ago! Are your plugs bridged at .040? Are they getting spark? Unfortunately there are many things, your gonna have to do some troubleshooting or bring it into a shop!

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
you have to put it to something metal to see if the spark is there or what color the spark is
I know that there are a lot of people suggesting things all at once so I will try to break it down from where you should start.

1. Check spark. Buy a spark intensity tester (not very expensive, can be found many places). You plug it into the end of the spark plug wire one at a time, start the car, and if you have blue spark on each wire then you have good ignition. This does not necessarily mean that you have good ignition timing.

2. Check fuel pressure. This will require a fuel pressure tester, so if you don't have one you will have trouble diagnosing anything much further than this.

Hope this helps. Its just a start but the basics should be covered before you go and replace expensive parts that are not defective.

dcboardr41

could be your distributor, mine died while driving and we did the spark plug test and figured out the dizzy was messed up