[Help] Repetitive Grinding/Knocking Noise From Transmission (Just Replaced CV Axles)

MechanicalMaze

Like the title says. A few months back I put my 96 Civic EX into a curb. Afterwards, I was getting a little vibration from my front right tire/axle area.
I took it to a small shop and the guy told me I had a bunch of bad bushings, and that I needed to replace my CV Axles (the boots were torn and slinging grease) and my inner/outter tie rods.
I DIY'd all of the replacements and finished up last night. After getting everything back together and the tires on, I started it up and put the vehicle in drive (sitting on jack stands). Only the left tire was spinning, which I've read is normal but figured I'd ask about anyway. In addition, there is a grinding/knocking noise that I think is coming from the transmission. When looking from under the car while in drive, whenever it knocks, the right CV axle moves a little (nothing major, just a light movement).

When I manually move the left tire, the right tire does move (in the opposite direction) which leads me to think that the gears are grabbing fine. I've read all over but can't find anyone reporting a similar problem.

Any ideas?

Additional Information:
This morning I put the old CV axle back on the car and put the tire back on (the right side axle did have a small hole in the boot but it isn't terrible)
The same noise and slight movement is occuring with the old axle.

I replaced both right and left axles with re-manufactured axles.
The right axle looks a little bit different than my old one.
The part going into the transmission is about a quarter inch longer than my old one
I noticed that it wasnt going in all the way when I first installed and tested it out.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wheel bearings maybe?

MechanicalMaze

Well..actually..

I figured it out..
Really embarrassing actually.
As I said in OP, I purchased the axles re-manufactured.
I noticed a difference in the new axles and the old ones from the very beginning.
The newer ones had a rubber piece about mid way down the axle.
I read where I purchased them from that it had something to do with ABS or something, but I knew I didn't need them. I figured I'd install the axles and if the rubber pieces were in the way, I'd take them off.

Once I got them installed and looked under the car while the vehicle was in drive to try to see where the noise was coming from, it really sounded like it was coming from the right side of the transmission. I guess all the other noise from the engine was throwing me off..
I saw that the rubber piece was rubbing against a part of the chassis but didn't think much of it.
The noise couldn't be caused by rubber against metal, right?
Turns out the rubber piece isn't just rubber.
There's a thick metal ring under the rubber, and that's where my noise was coming from.
Chopped it off with a Dremel, and all is well.
Other than the alignment being off a bit.
Thanks for all the input!

RonJ

Banned
Glad to hear you sorted it out.

The rubber ring is called a dynamic damper. It serves to reduce axle vibration. Most aftermarket axles lack this damper but OEM Honda Civic axles generally have them.