Help with auto shifting problem

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so I finally fixed my idle problem by cleaning the IACV but now I have a new problem. It will not shift until it gets to a very high rpm, its an auto with no tach but im guessing around 4500. What is the problem? I messed with the idle screw a little when I was fixing the idle problem would this have anything to do with it?

cookiemonster24

5+ Year Member
chances are slim the idle has anything to do with it. how many miles are on the car?

cookiemonster24

5+ Year Member
and it never did this before you had iac problems? cause honda isnt exactly known for having good auto transmissions.

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont think so, I have only had it for 2 weeks but its possible it did

cookiemonster24

5+ Year Member
its probably a trans problem. a honda even with an iac problem will still shift normally. i used to be a honda tech and i think ive encountered same problem with the 92-2000 civics more than once. but the customer wasnt compaining about it.

cookiemonster24

5+ Year Member
it should be. it will just shift crappy. granted you might want to look into getting that looked at by somebody. you dont want it to quit shifting and leave you somewhere.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
change the transmission fluid, helps a little bit. But I believe the tranny will need a rebuild soon, as this happened to my accord till one day it died.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Talking to a transmission shop will be more helpful than us. They could tell you the causes.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do u put the car in "D" or another gear? because the other 2 i believe shift at higher rpms

cookiemonster24

5+ Year Member
older accords used to have a sport shift option on the shifter itself, check on yours to see if you have a sport option button and make sure isnt in "sport" mode. luckily for you those auto trans are pretty cheap used. but just make sure that if you get one put in that there arent any issues with it like the one that is in there now.

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It would be your best idea to take it to a shop to have the transmission looked at. I have encountered that changing the fluid in an automatic when there is already a problem will cause more problems. Try putting some Lucas transmission fix in it.