Help with cleaning IACV

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK I just bought a 97 dx yesterday and it idles up and down when its in park only. I have been reading around and it seems cleaning the IACV should help. Can someone give me step by step instructions on removing and cleaning the IACV or post a link that does. I have not done too much work with cars so any info would be helpful! Anyone think its something else since it only idles in park?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
could be a map sensor

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ive heard brake cleaner..

But Id like to know for sure too!

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
brake clean will not hurt your IACV but if anything i would recommend a TB cleaner...just to set you at ease.. (BG makes a good TB cleaner) or even just blow it with shop air..make sure that gasket is good as well..you shouldn't have a problem with it though.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since its a DX, the IACV is on the side (should be frontside nearest the engine) of the throttle body. When the car is cool, unbolt the (I think y7 IACV's are 3 bolt) 14mm bolt, and pull it back as far as you can. If you cant get to it, unhook the coolant lines from it. Just remember which line goes where on the IACV. Take your brake cleaner (which is fine) or throttle body cleaner, and spray it in the IACV. Let it air out for a few minutes, then install it. Quite simple, actually.

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I finally found the IACV but I can seem to get it off... I read the TPS could be the problem would this throw the ECL?

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant get it off I might be missing a bolt can someone give me a pic of the bolts to remove

94civicgurl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fixed it thanks guys, it just needed cleaned, so now I have an extra TP sensor lol.