Help with d16y7 and d6y8

osoflin

5+ Year Member
Hi guys.. I have a 99 Civic Sedan DX with a d16y7... some friend told me that a good idea was to install a d16y8 vtec head and a vtec ecu and that I will perform better... Besides the vtec.. wht are the other differences between the y7 and y8... does the block changes?? please help and advice me... THANKS

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the throttle body on the intake mani for Y7 points up but on Y8, the throttle body points to the left... alil difference in there so ur prolly gonna have to change the ur air intake (correct me if i'm wrong)... no u don't change the block cuz they are the same but with different heads... heres a DIY link http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=735196 hope this helps... thsi is all i can answer right now...

osoflin

5+ Year Member
guwakjai010 said:
the throttle body on the intake mani for Y7 points up but on Y8, the throttle body points to the left... alil difference in there so ur prolly gonna have to change the ur air intake (correct me if i'm wrong)... no u don't change the block cuz they are the same but with different heads... heres a DIY link http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=735196 hope this helps... thsi is all i can answer right now...
THANKS A LOT

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah theres no real difference between the two motors, except for the head and the transmission. The d16y8 head has vtec and i know the two trannys have different gear ratios.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the y8 head has vtec and will give you like 20 more horse. the ex tranny is the shortest geared d series tranny that honda makes. so... get the y8 head and the s40 trans. swap it in change the ecu and youll be good

celtic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
guwakjai010 said:
you won't need to get a new intake as long as you use the y7 intake manifold...if you get the y8 manifold as well then you will need a new intake

d16y7

snootchy bootchies
5+ Year Member
celtic11 said:
you won't need to get a new intake as long as you use the y7 intake manifold...if you get the y8 manifold as well then you will need a new intake
if your changing the head for performance, dont then strangle it with the puny y7 intake manifold. fit the y8 mani its a much better unit, and i doubt it will cost that much to get a new intake pipe to fit.

celtic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
d16y7 said:
if your changing the head for performance, dont then strangle it with the puny y7 intake manifold. fit the y8 mani its a much better unit, and i doubt it will cost that much to get a new intake pipe to fit.
I agree, I was just clarifying his options for him. I didn't want him to think that he HAD to change his intake and manifold.