Help with Exhaust!

nvus94

New Civic Driver
I was driving last night and I don't know if I hit something on the interstate or not but the pipe that connects to the headers and the mid pipe (I call it the 2-1 pipe) snapped at the flange connecting to the mid pipe. Now I have an exhaust leak and the car sounds like a jet engine, which is dope and all but It needs to be fixed. Does anyone know what that piece is called? And how easy is it to get to that piece? Any instructions for when I go to the junk yard?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i call it the down pipe. you can always find the whole header set up..or buy a new header off ebay or something. if it rusted off then i'm sure other parts are getting ready to break as well.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would personally, but it depends on your funds too. My uncle fixed the exhaust on his civic so much that he could've bought an exhaust in good shape or a had a new exhaust system made for him for the same price it took to fix each crack and break point.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Perfect time to put in a full 3" exhaust for the turbo you are going to do :thumbs up

nvus94

New Civic Driver
Perfect time to put in a full 3" exhaust for the turbo you are going to do :thumbs up
Yeah I've been thinking about a turbo but I have D16Y8. I don't know what turbos are "good" I don't wanna cheap out and have that explode while it's spooling.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
then get a quality kit from a well known manufacturer, and don't cobble one together on your own. There are plenty of reputable kits out there made especially for the D series vtec engines.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is it a stock-ish exhaust?

I bought my EG Coupe and the exhaust was falling apart, wired and clamped in to the car so I need one ASAP. I put together (Using diagrams and item numbers on the site) an OEM type (no huge piping) Bosal system, cost me about $250 with shipping and taxes from rockauto.com, took me a few hours to bolt the whole thing in, sounds stock, fits fine, works perfectly. Just need to make sure you get all the bolt kits, etc.

djroadking

Having a problem with my exhaust on my 98 civic and I didn't want to start a new thread so here we go... This is the 2nd time I've had this issue since I've had the car and the issue is with rust on a muffler and the whole exhaust system. At the moment the end part of the pipe could literally be ripped off or soon it will just fall off. Can't really do much work on my civic in general atm because of rain... Should I just saw the muffler off and weld a straight pipe on?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ replace the whole exhaust system. Rain is no excuse! I've washed cars in the snow before :P

nvus94

New Civic Driver
I ended up just welding the header back to the CAT. What are some reputable D-Series turbo kits?

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
checking back often on this thread since im about to replace my entire exhaust system. if your exhaust has rust on it and it looks beyond fixable (i.e. is coating everything) then best bet, as mention, is to just pony up the money and get it replaced. if your header is fine, obviously you can leave it be. rust isnt a good thing to have around. period. replace the exhaust system, and clean your car (inside/out, top/bottom) regularly to help prevent this problem. and agreed, rain is no excuse! >.< but it IS a pain!

StancedEJ6

Since we on the topic of exhaust I 98 lx 4 door I was wondering if a 98 hb aftermarket exhaust work on mine or is it shorter. If it is shorter how much shorter

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
manifold is the same, down pipe is the same, i believe the only difference between the hatches and coupes/sedans is the axle back.