Help with motor mount problem and power steering

earlybill1

Hope I'm in rite place. I just got a 99 civic si em1 it's my 1st dohc. I've had a 97 ex and a few crx si. Ok about my em1 b4 I bought it it just had a jdm b16a put in with new motor mounts the problem is the vibration is crazy I feel it in the floor board and the pedals I was told it was the new motor mounts. If that's so how do I fix that without more mounts. And last is the power steering is not hooked up because the pulley doesn't line up with other pulleys is the bracket wrong or wrong power steering setup? I can add pics if anyone can help me figure this out thanks

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Definitely add pictures, as they can only help and not hinder.
As for the engine mounts, depending on what brand they are, they are usually stiffer than stock ones. My buddy has a B20 and his car vibrates/shakes quite a bit compared to my stock D series engine in my ek.
As far as the pulley, I'm not too sure tbh. Pictures would definitely help though.

earlybill1

I post them in morning thanks for the advice plz check back with this post

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Did the previous owner add solid motor mounts or the energy suspension inserts? The rear mount, if it's solid or has inserts will make for serious vibration. if the lower two mounts are broken or missing that will cause mad vibration as well.

As far as the PS, post pictures.

earlybill1

They are innovative mounts if that helps and I'm posting pics in morning thanks spooled

MotorMo

Respected
Congrats on your EM1!!!
Had some ideas for ya.
First Gen B16A's had an older "v" style belt for the power steering. Newer B16A's ( like the one originally in your EM1 ) uses a "4 ribbed" belt. Possible the engine that got swapped in is from the older generation. An inspection of both pullies would let ya know if they don't match up. In which case your would need a harmonic balancer (aka crank pully) from an EM1 (B16A2 instead of the B16A). Honda still sells them, almost two bills tho-
Excessive vibrations suck unless your fighting for that extra tenth of a second down the 1320. In my experience all after market mounts result in excessive vibration- mostly at idle and low speeds tho. Just make sure your check engine light isn't flashing at you when the vibrations happen :thumbs up

earlybill1

Congrats on your EM1!!!
Had some ideas for ya.
First Gen B16A's had an older "v" style belt for the power steering. Newer B16A's ( like the one originally in your EM1 ) uses a "4 ribbed" belt. Possible the engine that got swapped in is from the older generation. An inspection of both pullies would let ya know if they don't match up. In which case your would need a harmonic balancer (aka crank pully) from an EM1 (B16A2 instead of the B16A). Honda still sells them, almost two bills tho-
Excessive vibrations suck unless your fighting for that extra tenth of a second down the 1320. In my experience all after market mounts result in excessive vibration- mostly at idle and low speeds tho. Just make sure your check engine light isn't flashing at you when the vibrations happen :thumbs up
I'll look at pulleys to check v belt or 4 ribbed belt and that's exactly the way the vibration feels you nailed it so do I need to find better motor mounts I hate the vibration never had b4

MotorMo

Respected
Factory mounts are designed to absorb all those pulses.... Best solution ( not the cheapest ) is to buy all new (or roll the dice with used, cheaper) OEM motor mounts and return them to their stock function. Hopefully you would just need the top main three- and not the lower two "tourqe mounts" -(they should still be there in a perfect world )

earlybill1

So can anyone help me with my power steering problem the pulley doesn't line up with the other pulleys it's at least half in or more of plz help

MotorMo

Respected
I believe your problem is the upper power steering bracket labeled "P72"- that is a bracket from a B18c1- you need an upper power steering bracket from any B16A (B16A2, B16A3, etc...). As far as the lower bracket, these are all the same. I say this from personal experience of my own B16A adventures. I bought a used B16A upper bracket from EBAY, and swooped the lower bracket from a B18B from the junk yard. The "heat shield" from a B18B that goes between the two brackets also fits the B16A long block if you elongate the hole where the bolt goes thorough.

MotorMo

Respected
At that time, I was also running a complete 98-2001 Acura Integra power steering system in a 95 Civic EX ( hoses, lines, pump and rack).

earlybill1

MotoMo you've been a big help thanks do ya know anyone selling the ps brackets (upper) I've looked on ebay and only one I can find is billet for $125 but I'll get if I have to

MotorMo

Respected
Glad the info helped. Give me a day or two and I'll dig in my stash to see what I can find. I might still have one.

MotorMo

Respected
Sorry earlybill1, I don't have a spare P30 upper power steering bracket, I rummaged through all my stuff. Give it minute tho and I'm sure one with pop up on eBay. Maby some one here in this community has one? I'm too new to understand how to post "wanted", but its worth a shot.