Help with vtec engagement

guerra

5+ Year Member
Hey everyone.. I have a d17a2 and I was just wondering what would make the vtec engagement points a little more noticeable. I know its a freakin D, and a SOHC at that, but I was just wondering what might pronounce the sound a bit more. I have an intake and I plan to get headers and and exhaust, Im not going to be one of those dudes that says they want 160+ hp NA with a d17. I just want to make it more enjoyable for DD. any opinions are welcome, but try to hold off from extremly negative ones :D thanks guys

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
Hmmm.. I'm not sure if that's even possible.. from what i've read the "vtec engagement" is pretty seemless and barely notisable, then again I may be wrong? i'm curious to know what the gurus will say though :cool:

did i spell gurus right? hmm..

guerra

5+ Year Member
Yeah I am too.. I tried searching on here but couldnt really find anything. Ive heard a huge increase in sound before but on a rsx-s with ITB's lol. :rocker: obviously not trying to get anywhere near that but hoping some others will comment.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a CAM would be the biggest single noticable upgrade to the car. Vtec would seem to come on strong after you put a cam in.

remember this... anything past a STG1 cam will require new valve springs.

also its best that if you get anything after STG1 you would want to tune the car to the cam.. this is where you will get your gains from. i suggest Kpro for this. as it is a plug and play system and will work with your car the best.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i wonder if you'll get a noticable difference from a stage 1 crower cam.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Unfortunately, you probably won't get much of a difference without a lot of work. My suggestion is to do your I/H/E combo first and then see how much more work you need/want to do and then go from there. IMO

guerra

5+ Year Member
Yeah I had briefly read about that last week.. Seems like a good idea, and i know crower is a good quality brand. Stage 1 would be most sensible for my needs/wants, stage 2 and 3 seems to start getting into really high comp/ turbo applications. They were saying about 7-10 whp increase for just stage 1 but again I know it depends on tuning, snake is 100% right.
First i might do a couple minor things with suspension, colder months seem like a good time to do that. But i am seriously considering getting by spring, not sure if I will do camshaft or H/E first though. I would also want to get the crower set of valve springs (comes with retainers) to go with it just for more DD reliability.
Oh and thanks for the contributions guys.. and yes sadly hondagriff it is not the beautiful i-vtec lol.