Heres a good one for ya...

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi all,

Some of you may remember my engine swap from hell a while back. I had to take the car back to the place that did the swap, my brother in law convinced me to do so. They have a new mechanic now so I was willing to let him have a go to fix it. Good job I did because had I taken it someplace else I would have had to pay for the repairs - new head cylinder, new gearbox and new piston rings. They have also done a lot of extra work on the engine and replaced nearly every bearing (if not every) - big end and main bearings and all in the gearbox. I will follow up the engine swap thread soon because the new mechanic has done a fantastic job with it and they have done so much extra that they didn't have to (but was nice they did it for me). Basically I have a fully rebuilt engine now.

There is one problem though...

After 250 miles since rebuild... car pulls lovely and fine in the bottom end, but top end feels very restrictive... engine feels as if it wants to go a lot faster but can't (does that make sense?) Engine idles at about 750ish, When I rev the engine upto 2.5 or so the revs fall back to 500 or so (bottom of the guage) before rising to normal. When driving and dipping the clutch to change down and breaking at the same time can cause this and it will sometimes stall.

We (brother in law and myself) thought the problem was within the throttle body, and when we disconnected the map sensor and drove the car bottom end was patheticaly (sp?) poor, took half throttle to pull away without stalling! but above 4k it pulled harder and stronger than it ever had before!! Exhaust pops on the overrun which it has never done before (I have a fully de cat setup)

Connected it all back up and reset the ecu and it was back to its old self. Checked all the voltages from the sensor and they were fine...

I know the car is over fueling, and the above sound like the symptoms of over fueling, and I suspect that I need engine management now with all the mods done to it, but could it be something else as well? I checked all the vacuum lines as well and they ara all good.

I'll be taking it back for him to look at but he isn't there until wednesday, and if it's something easy i'd like to have a look fixing myself.. i'm just out of ideas at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Shaun_Ek

myspacebarisbroken
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is your motor stock or what?!?! if not what are the modificatiosn... im in the dark with the post :roll:

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry, a mod list would help wouldn't it? Mostly stock at the moment...

1996 B16A2 Motor (rebuilt 250 miles ago)
Skunk2 valve springs (stage 2 cams going in next month)
HKS intake filter
4-2-1 manifold, decat and 2.5" stainless cat back

None of my other mods will have any effect on this.

Thanks

Shaun_Ek

myspacebarisbroken
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what ecu are you running? and what car is your b16 in?

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just got back from work,

Raised the idle from 750 to 1100 rpm and that has made it better. Revs stil drop before rising again, but they only drop to around 750ish and doesn't cut out any more.

=)

Deadhead

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Clean out your TB.... spray some carb cleaner in there. Replace your PCV ic you haven't already.

I would also just go ahead and adjust your valves also. Even though it's rebuilt, I don't think that they cleaned out the intake mani and such. Try using some seafoam.

Did you adjust your idle like the service manual says to? I know when i adjusted the screw w/o plugging the ICV it would drop like that, but as soon as i did it RIGHT, it worked great where the rpms slowly fall from 1000 back to 750 where it should be.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MySiIzFaster said:
hcl;hnslvhl;kvhal;hvl;akhvl;kahvlkfblkfn
dude u alright? u doing this shyt in liek all the thread :rolf:

anyways lonewolffffffff...wut up...
lol..i'm glad to hear the car is doing better...

the idle seems fine to me..even when it was at 750...7-800 is where it should idle really..
how did u raise it? with the idle adj screw?? because that screw is only meant for minor adj...;)

i wouldn't worry about it much sounds good to me about now..

and u need to post up some pics bro :thumbs up

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blazed said:
dude u alright? u doing this shyt in liek all the thread :rolf:

anyways lonewolffffffff...wut up...
lol..i'm glad to hear the car is doing better...

the idle seems fine to me..even when it was at 750...7-800 is where it should idle really..
how did u raise it? with the idle adj screw?? because that screw is only meant for minor adj...;)

i wouldn't worry about it much sounds good to me about now..

and u need to post up some pics bro :thumbs up
Thanks for the help Deadhead and Blazed! =)

Yeah, I just adjusted the screw :roll: I think its actually more like 1000rpm, car seems so much more happier with a higher idle, it's a lot smoother and there are less rattles inside (I have solid engine mounts!)

Pics would have been up sooner... Saturday morning I washed it, clayed it, paint cleaned, polished and waxed. By the time I finished it was dark! Now its raining and covered in s**t again from the roads. Will try again soon... I will only be washing it this time though! lol

Thanks again

Tim