Hesitation from 2k to 4k? HELP!

bubbadirect

okay all, well this is my first post, so please be gentle and help me, if you can. I have an 89 Honda Civic Si that I bought new 21 years ago, and this little lady is still going after 173,000 miles. She has some rust now, but that is not my concern. Over the past month or 2, I have been unable to start it right away some times. This usually happens, when I have been doing city driving or short hops between start and stops.

So, I got the fuel injector cleaned out the other day, replaced spark plugs, got an oil change, and added SEAFOAM into the tank, as I think there is a crack in the gas tank. I have been smelling fuel since last fall when someone side-swiped me in a parking lot. So, I think that there is a crack in the tank (possible right since I smell fuel daily when driving) and maybe moisture has gotten in.??? But wouldn't this SEAFOAM stuff help? I added it about 400 miles ago, and now it appears that it is not helping much, if at all.

Almost immediately after I added the SEAFOAM (recommended by a mechanic, btw) I noticed that the car idles fine now but when I am really gunning it, I have no problem. But when I am driving at highway speeds or anywhere between RPM of 2,000 to almost 4,000; it is a REALLY ROUGH RIDE. It is as if it is really hesitating and not wanting to be a smooth ride, but jumpy, even at cruise.

Any suggestions here? I just replaced the spark plugs and the igntion wireset (spark plug wires) this week also trying to see if that would help narrow down the problem. But today, I got to the mini mart to get something, and when I got back out to leave 4 minutes later, the car wouldn't start, and I had to wait a few minutes. Ughh!

So what suggestions do you have? Please!

Thanks in advance,
bubbadirect

civic0918

Registered VIP
call me stupid but that sounds like plugs i know you said you replaced them but thats my guess. May be loose or something idk.

ED90

definitely check the spark plug wires