Hey guys, I'm new to this site and just bought a 2000 Civic EX

Tero

Color:Black & It's manual of course, but I wanted to put some work on it.. I bought it used from the original owner 133k. I wanna do a transmission fluid change (but i dont know how to), oil change, add some rims and a spoiler. do you guys have any suggested parts for me?

also I have a small dent in the back right right above my bumper (I can take pics later) I was wondering if anybody could help me out with fixing that? Thanks any help is appreciated.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
I bought it used from the original owner 133k. I wanna do a transmission fluid change (but i dont know how to), oil change, add some rims and a spoiler. do you guys have any suggested parts for me?
1. do a tune up. (spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, maybe even fuel filter if you want)
2.A transmission fluid change is the exact same concept as an oil change, except you loosen 2 bolts, and it's a bit harder to reach.
3.Before looking for rims and a spoiler, basic maintenance should be taken care of.

emerican

Registered VIP
welcome to the site
if you have any questions or problems feel free to pm me
post up some pics of the car
also i agree at the very least a full tune up oil change and i would run some fuel system cleaner or seafoam through it should be done first just because you never know when the previous owner did them.
Also use honda oem tranny fluid if you do the tranny flush.

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My suggestion a far is parts is to look around at other builds. I'm sure u will find some mods u want. Spoilers are over rated on coupes unless u get the mugen one. That thing is sexy I want to put one on my EG if I wouldn't get flamed for it lol. Rims there are sooo many options. And I'm sure there is a How to on trany fluid change on here or Honda tech.

Welcome to the site =) post some pics.

Tero

Thanks guys I appreciate the warm welcome....:suprise:

so... ive been trying to put images up, but i havent figured out how to?? i only see use image URL LINK, or EMAIL ADDRESS... can somebody help me out please? how do I upload a pic that i could just put up for you all to see?

emerican

Registered VIP
upload the to image shack and then just copy and paste the forum code directly into this thread

Tero

^^ Thanks Emerican..

well here are the pics guya... BLACK 2000 CIVIC EX, with 133K miles, manual transmission. I am the second owner, just bought it last night for $2300... got all the maintainence records from previous owner. The dude bought a WRX so he was selling this civic for some extra money...

..if you ask me I think this was a steal... (btw).. this is my first car ever. I am 22 yrs old.

now it has a minor dent on it.. no major accidents but a small fender bender, anyone have any solutions to fix this?

any questions? concerns? help? i welcome any kinds of criticism... let me know wassup

CO671

Registered VIP
^^ Thanks Emerican..

well here are the pics guya... BLACK 2000 CIVIC EX, with 133K miles, manual transmission. I am the second owner, just bought it last night for $2300... got all the maintainence records from previous owner. The dude bought a WRX so he was selling this civic for some extra money...

..if you ask me I think this was a steal... (btw).. this is my first car ever. I am 22 yrs old.

now it has a minor dent on it.. no major accidents but a small fender bender, anyone have any solutions to fix this?

any questions? concerns? help? i welcome any kinds of criticism... let me know wassup
Fixed.

It actually looks like a pretty nice canvas to work on. Do a complete tune-up like mentioned above so you know your service intervals. I'd just do everything; oil, brake fluid, coolant, clutch fluid (if standard), tranny fluid, power steering fluid, hell windshield wiper fluid too, distributor cap + rotor, spark plugs + wires. Check the brake pads and rotors, etc;. Make sure the vehicle is running at its best before you start modding the cosmetics; keep in mind function over form first, you can worry about balancing them out later. For a coupe, the mugen spoiler looks amazing, fits very nicely. Since it's a 99-00 it'd look nice with a mugen (or replica) front lip too; or you can get a CTR/SI lip (or replica), but I prefer the mugen. Maybe interior can be changed up a bit, try 4th-generation prelude seats (heard they're very comfy) or Del Sol's, RSX's, etc; Steering wheel can be swapped out with an AP1 S2000 steering wheel nicely done, that's what I'd do just because those quickrelease ones don't have airbags and safety would be a bigger concern to me. For rims, you can go cheap and get XXR's, Drags, Rota's or Konigs, they're cheap brands at $80-$150 per rim. I've been looking at Rota R Specs (integra type R replicas) and currently run Konig Heliums (Volk CE28 replicas) Drag DR31's/Rota Torques are nice too and look great with coupes (Work emotion cr kai replicas) or the popular Rota Slipstreams (Spoon SW388 / Desmond Evo Regamasters)

Tero

Fixed.

It actually looks like a pretty nice canvas to work on. Do a complete tune-up like mentioned above so you know your service intervals. I'd just do everything; oil, brake fluid, coolant, clutch fluid (if standard), tranny fluid, power steering fluid, hell windshield wiper fluid too, distributor cap + rotor, spark plugs + wires. Check the brake pads and rotors, etc;. Make sure the vehicle is running at its best before you start modding the cosmetics; keep in mind function over form first, you can worry about balancing them out later. For a coupe, the mugen spoiler looks amazing, fits very nicely. Since it's a 99-00 it'd look nice with a mugen (or replica) front lip too; or you can get a CTR/SI lip (or replica), but I prefer the mugen. Maybe interior can be changed up a bit, try 4th-generation prelude seats (heard they're very comfy) or Del Sol's, RSX's, etc; Steering wheel can be swapped out with an AP1 S2000 steering wheel nicely done, that's what I'd do just because those quickrelease ones don't have airbags and safety would be a bigger concern to me. For rims, you can go cheap and get XXR's, Drags, Rota's or Konigs, they're cheap brands at $80-$150 per rim. I've been looking at Rota R Specs (integra type R replicas) and currently run Konig Heliums (Volk CE28 replicas) Drag DR31's/Rota Torques are nice too and look great with coupes (Work emotion cr kai replicas) or the popular Rota Slipstreams (Spoon SW388 / Desmond Evo Regamasters)

Thanks bro!!!

so the only thing i have done is changed the oil... and wiper fluid LOL. the brakes and rotors are solid, i think they should be good atleast until winter time.

I however, do not know how to change tranny fluid, or clutch fluid, distributor cap, spark plugs, rotor.. could you give me like a quick 101 on how to do that? should i just take it a mechanic??

ALSO. i beleive the maintenence required light is on? i cant really tell.. its red, but everything seems fine. any suggestions on that ?

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
Thanks bro!!!

so the only thing i have done is changed the oil... and wiper fluid LOL. the brakes and rotors are solid, i think they should be good atleast until winter time.

I however, do not know how to change tranny fluid, or clutch fluid, distributor cap, spark plugs, rotor.. could you give me like a quick 101 on how to do that? should i just take it a mechanic??
Google is your best friend, use the search function, since these cars are over 10 years old, there's articles almost everywhere.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=civic+tune+up

and don't take it to a mechanic, just read, read, read. you will save lots of money this way and most of the time you will be using better name brand parts than the generic cheap parts.
For the most part, with maintenance, try your best to stick to OEM. my logic is, if it came from the factory driving perfectly, then it doesn't hurt to have those same maintenance parts in the car.

Tero

just looked at a bunch of youtube videos and some DIY's,

changing the transmission fluid.. should i put fluid into where the transmission dipstick was after i drained it out?? also how much should i put in?

Tero

Changed the clutch fluid, oil change, wiper change, it already had power steering fluid, used more brake fluid, and coolant.

I think its good to go.. i just hope i dont burn out the clutch cuz im still new at driving stick.

I discovered a rusty exhaust, i wanted to get a bigger one anyways, whats a decent, but affordable brand to use?

CO671

Registered VIP
Changed the clutch fluid, oil change, wiper change, it already had power steering fluid, used more brake fluid, and coolant.

I think its good to go.. i just hope i dont burn out the clutch cuz im still new at driving stick.

I discovered a rusty exhaust, i wanted to get a bigger one anyways, whats a decent, but affordable brand to use?

Good job on the progress man.
I'm still running on a stock exhaust, but i've read quite a bit around Civic exhaust systems that Yonaka Catbacks are a great system for under $300, and for the $500+ price range would be the Apexi WS2 and Tanabe Hyper Medallions. Personally, I prefer a stock sound but I like the large polished tip look so i'm just going to spend around $100 to hopefully get an RSX-type s stock muffler welded onto my DX piping; more of a cosmetic modification to me; i could be doing a stupid move.

plusone_ej8

welcome to the site. I agree with the others do the basic maintenance and start saving money it's a expensive hobby to have. Nice car you picked up it's a good platform to work with. I've had my 1999 civic since day one and have dumped a lot into it.

Tero

You guys are very helpful and i appreciate the assistance..

I cleaned out my engine bay and removed the battery.. then the OEM stereo was locked. It took me 3 days to get all the info from the previous owner to get the code to unlock it. After i did this im getting a error when i try to play a cd "e-00".. this is getting real frustrating..

so I just decided i want to get a aftermarket stereo system... Does anyone have any suggestions on a good stereo system? I need it to play my ipod too..

Also I dont want to lose my alarm system.. (my current stereo blinks red for the alarm). WIll i lose my alarm if I get a new radio?? and are there any aftermarket radios that do the same thing? im trying to spend no more than $150

Tero

cant find nothing on google...

is the alarm system on my 2000 civic EX at all connected to my radio?? anyone?? please?

bump