HID problem/Question

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
So yesterday I installed my DDM HIDs, and everything went pretty smoothly. The only problem I have is.....when I start my car and turn on the light switch, they come on for half a second, then go off. But then if you turn the switch back to off and turn it on again, they come on without a hitch. What is the problem????

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you sure they don't flash real bright, then dim out.. then slowly come back on? Mine did that, pretty sure most do, like a "warming up process". If they go out and then don't come back on at all that's a problem though...

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
Are you sure they don't flash real bright, then dim out.. then slowly come back on? Mine did that, pretty sure most do, like a "warming up process". If they go out and then don't come back on at all that's a problem though...
They flash real bright, but then Im pretty sure they just go out......unless it takes a long ass time for them to come back on. Then if i just turn the lights off and back on, they work perfectly

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my ddm kit does the same thing at first i thought it was a ground but it still does it . i also have a relay harness i have let the car run a little bit before i switch them on and that seems to work for the most part.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its most likely the relay, ddm relays suck ass! I've had nothing but problems with their kits that involve relays. If its a dual beam kit you're dealing with, just buy single beam bulbs and loose the relay. But hold on to your halogen light bulbs just to pass inspection. You won't really need high beams anyways with hids.

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
my ddm kit does the same thing at first i thought it was a ground but it still does it . i also have a relay harness i have let the car run a little bit before i switch them on and that seems to work for the most part.
Allright, I'll try lettin the car run for a little bit. If i turn them on without the engine on, they come on the first time every time

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Definitely sounds like a relay issue. My first DDM harness had a bad relay and would cause only one bulb of the two to randomly go out. Swapped out the relay and have been running with no problems whatsoever. Just call DDM and have them send you a new harness. Once you get it, you can swap just the relays in like 20 seconds. Good luck!