HID's? what bulb type to choose?

dsprimal

Banned
better yet, what bulb size (type) do 1998 headlights have? thanks

cuetip

Registered VIP
what primal said, now if u want to look boring go ahead and get 8k, or stand out get some colored hids

dsprimal

Banned
what primal said, now if u want to look boring go ahead and get 8k, or stand out get some colored hids
i am primal!!!!!! lmao! unless u were being sarcastic. but yeah i would go with colored lights. like crazy blue or purple. but i feel like thats a bit ricey. 8k ddm's are fairly blue. like sky blue or baby blue. so what i had listed was the right bulb type? cause ive been waiting for responses before ordering. UGGGGHHHH <3 club civic someone who has HID's please post! thanks =)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: 9003/HB2

dont get colored lights...its retarded. 4300k - 5000k is the highest light output. The point of HID's is to have better lighting....not blind people, create less visibility, or put on a light show. be smart.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a word of advise. DDMtuning is a joke now. They used to be a reputable company and I referred them all the time. Now they are Chinese crap. Products are literally drop shipped from china and they are cheap no name junk. Read the reviews all over the net about them. I would steer clear.

There are vendors on here that sell H.I.D. kits and are trustworthy/reputable. Go with one of them at the least.

Also, please don't throw a kit in your stock headlights. Retrofit or nothing. Retrofitting is so easy now, it should be the first thing you do.

dsprimal

Banned
Just a word of advise. DDMtuning is a joke now. They used to be a reputable company and I referred them all the time. Now they are Chinese crap. Products are literally drop shipped from china and they are cheap no name junk. Read the reviews all over the net about them. I would steer clear.

There are vendors on here that sell H.I.D. kits and are trustworthy/reputable. Go with one of them at the least.

Also, please don't throw a kit in your stock headlights. Retrofit or nothing. Retrofitting is so easy now, it should be the first thing you do.
I just bought black housed headlights. If i do decide to go with retrofit HID's. would this be a good site to go to? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I just checked out some morimoto retrofits on that site. morimoto good or bad?

i just hear that theres tons of complications that COULD come with retrofitting. anyone recommend any specific retrofit companies to go with? and the exact bulb type? thanks!

dsprimal

Banned
Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: 9003/HB2

dont get colored lights...its retarded. 4300k - 5000k is the highest light output. The point of HID's is to have better lighting....not blind people, create less visibility, or put on a light show. be smart.
well said! I saw the bulb type u pointed out, but theres also the same one for "hi/lo beam" for an extra $20.00. i'm kinda lost on the hi/lo part. lows = your regular lights, high = brights. would it be better to go with the Hi/Lo package? so i'll have hid all around? or if i stay with the lows like u said, that means i would have stock high beams?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well said! I saw the bulb type u pointed out, but theres also the same one for "hi/lo beam" for an extra $20.00. i'm kinda lost on the hi/lo part. lows = your regular lights, high = brights. would it be better to go with the Hi/Lo package? so i'll have hid all around? or if i stay with the lows like u said, that means i would have stock high beams?
:slap: The hi/lo kit simply means that you'll get the HID bulb that puts out a HID beam in both high and low beam. Your factory headlight bulbs incorporate a hi beam and low beam all in one bulb as opposed to other cars that have two seperate light bulbs.

The single kit, will make your low beams HID's and your high beam will have the same output as a stock high beam. If you're not cruising with your brights on all the time, what's the point of a HID high beam? I'd get the hi/low kit if i lived in something like a wooded area where you tend you use brights on a regular basis at night. Other than that forget it.

and the retrofitsource is a GREAT place to get your retrofit needs.

dsprimal

Banned
:slap: The hi/lo kit simply means that you'll get the HID bulb that puts out a HID beam in both high and low beam. Your factory headlight bulbs incorporate a hi beam and low beam all in one bulb as opposed to other cars that have two seperate light bulbs.

The single kit, will make your low beams HID's and your high beam will have the same output as a stock high beam. If you're not cruising with your brights on all the time, what's the point of a HID high beam? I'd get the hi/low kit if i lived in something like a wooded area where you tend you use brights on a regular basis at night. Other than that forget it.

and the retrofitsource is a GREAT place to get your retrofit needs.
i wish i could give points to good posts lol. good thought again!!!! you just saved me $20 bucks bro! haha. i thought over the retrofitting. way too much of a hassle let alone expensive....i might come around to doing that later down the line. but as for now my future apologize go out to those i will be blinding in the tri-state area! :oops:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The factory beam cutoff is still there, so the light that is coming out above that point isn't nearly as strong as people make it seem. Its when you combine that light above the cutoff with a HID that is like a 8k or higher bulb that ends up hurting people's eyes.

dsprimal

Banned
The factory beam cutoff is still there, so the light that is coming out above that point isn't nearly as strong as people make it seem. Its when you combine that light above the cutoff with a HID that is like a 8k or higher bulb that ends up hurting people's eyes.
ahhh gotcha, that makes sense now. i just watched a couple videos of 8k ddm hids. in one of the videos the guy had a 55w ballast for his 8k headlights and a 35w ballast for his 6k fogs. his 8ks ended up looking whiter then his 6ks? i figured its because of the wattage? do you NEED higher wattage for higher hids? or do u think i could get away with 35w with 8k bulbs without any power loss?

cuetip

Registered VIP
primal u get what u want i am running some low beam green HIDs and havent had a single problem, and i have my fogs hooked up to my high beams

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That point that isn't getting across completely is that the factory cut off is NOT made for H.I.D. lighting. The shield is insufficient for blocking the glare and scatter that happens with H.I.D. bulbs. You need a projector with a CORRECT cut off shield inside that is made exactly for H.I.D.

Cuetip, just because you haven't been ticketed doesn't mean that it isn't coming. I was pulled over and cited (warning ticket) for just subtle hint of blue in the 8k's that I had. I had them in for 4 years and one day out of the blue (no pun intended) I got popped. Please don't give out information to newbies that just isn't true. I know a guy that lived from jumping off a bridge (into water) that was over 150 feet high. Just because he was ok doesn't mean that I am going to go around telling people that it is completely fine to do so. Running green, blue, purple, red, etc headlight bulbs is extremely illegal. Some do just fine, most do not. It is only a matter of time before you get pulled over.

Run them at your own risk.

OP: retrofitting is not really that expensive considering. I paid $60 for my morimoto minis because they are having a bad ass sale right now. Look for a thread that John posted in the off topic section that gives a link to the sale. I paid $40 for my H.I.D. kit from ddmtuning. Worst part was going with ddm, as they are cheap garbage, and took 3 weeks to get here. I have since ordered the H1 kit from TRS which will be going in very soon.

cuetip

Registered VIP
s**t primal you can ask, i have seen vids of some hollwood rides, and some new york bikes were rocking green and blue... but you can do like i did, and bought different bulbs, i installed them then drove around to see if i get pulled over for them

sullivan01

I would go with colored lights. like crazy blue or purple. but i feel like thats a bit ricey. 8k ddm's are fairly blue. like sky blue.

dsprimal

Banned
I would go with colored lights. like crazy blue or purple. but i feel like thats a bit ricey. 8k ddm's are fairly blue. like sky blue.
:thumbs up exactly my reason for going with 8k. having those in black housed headlights should look riiiiiiiiiight ;)