High Output Alternator Question, I Keep Blowing Amps!!

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
Do you think the the subs can be flipped around without having to made the holes in the box any bigger or smaller (in case I like it this way better, i can flip them back)? Also, is there a way for me to prove to them that having them reversed is causing a problem? If I can't, it will be very difficult for me to get them to flip them, and i don't think they will....

what pisses me off is that they never do anything to prevent an amp from blowing out in the future after one has blown...they just get the blown one repaired and put it back into the car...obviously after the 7th repair/replacement there is going to be an 8th one if they don't change anything else...and when i make suggestions on what they can fix, they ask for more money, which is bullshit since they designed the system for my car in the first place and i got a 5 year warranty and lifetime install warranty...They even told me that if the trantrum amp is not fixable this time, then they will give me the current market value for it and i can buy something else....and with the current market value of that amp, i can't get any amp that compares to that one brand new without having to go on like ebay or something...but im pretty sure in the warranty agreement it says that it would be replaced wit a "comparable" product...i don't know if there are other clauses in that that void that though....sorry, a little off topic here..

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man I don't know. With that kind of service I would get your amp back and take it to another shop for a second opinion. I would definitely stop doing business with that shop. Something they are doing isn't good. There is no reason why you should be going through that many amps. My opinion is it's the box abd the application it is being used in. Either way something is wrong with that install. Adding another fuse is not going to solve anything.

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
I will be taking it to a few other places for their opinions....and i won't be ever dealing with that store again (Audio Video Unlimited)...but I have to deal with them for my system because I bought a 5-year warranty and have a lifetime install warranty...if i get someone else to do work on it, it's going to void my warranty and i'm gonna have to start paying a lot of money for repairs...anyways, i have the appointment in 45min...i'll let u guys know wat they say about the suggestions u gave me...thankss

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so what happened

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree...i read this whole damn thread and want to know what the diagnosis was...

i thought it was loading the amp with too low of an impedance...for the reason that it was fine for months...then gave out all at once...

do you really lose that much moving from a 2 ohm load to a 4 ohm load in bridged mode? dont you lose THC moving to a lower impedance?

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
Well, I got the amp installed back in and took it to another audio guy....he put a meter to everything and it turns out that the readings are all correct:| He also has no clue why the amps blow, just advised me to turn the bass or volume down a bit if it seems like the subs are trying too hard...

I was told that the repair notes said that a part called "C68" was replaced, and thats all it said....I'm pretty sure thats the right number...AVU said that I could probably call the people who repaired it to see if they have more info on what the problem was..

Is it easy to change it over to a 4 ohm load without having to cut or add any wires? If it is, maybe I can try it out and see if I like the output...maybe that way it'll be a little easier on the amp..

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if they are two dual 2 ohm voice coil woofers you would run the voice coils on each woofer in series and the the woofers together in series give it a 4 ohm load in bridged mode on the amp...

(am i right snoopy?)

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
Do you guys have a diagram on how to wire the system at a 4 ohm load on 2 dual 2 ohm voice coil subs?

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if they are two dual 2 ohm voice coil woofers you would run the voice coils on each woofer in series and the the woofers together in series give it a 4 ohm load in bridged mode on the amp...

(am i right snoopy?)
dual 2 ohms will give you either a 1/4 ohm load or a 2 ohm load depending on wiring.

Running them in series will bring each sub to a 4 then bridged back to a 2