High pitched whine durring light acceleration

Alzg22

K20A3 User
5+ Year Member
After I installed a new AEM short ram, my car seems to be making a high pitched whine during light acceleration. You can't hear it when you slam the gas either, only for a brief second as the car starts to accelerate. Also, its hard to hear when the car is stationary. Only when its in gear very SLIGHTLY accelerating.

It's a 2003 EP3 hatch, k20a3.

I'm almost positive that it's coming from the throttle body area, but I re tightened the clamps at least four or five times.

It's a little loose around the air temp sensor (at least that's what I think that sensor is) since its only being held in by a small rubber grommet, but I don't think it's the issue.

The noise isn't really a problem, its just really annoying when I'm cruising. It makes me want to floor it everywhere so it doesn't whine (which isn't that great for my fuel efficiency).

Any insight would be great,
thanks
al

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
That's why those big plastic box-like things are used in the stock intake setup. They muffle intake noises like that. So if you don't like it, put the stock intake back on... Personally I kinda like that noise.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its just the whistle from the valve in the throttle body being open just enough for air to come in thats causing the wistling.

renzo is right, its just not as muffled, nothing to worry about.

Alzg22

K20A3 User
5+ Year Member
I mean, its just a little bit annoying.
But that is normal, right?
That is what I'm more worried about, hah.
Thanks for the quick response.

Also, I know I'm jacking my own thread, but I was thinking about getting some tein lowering springs, but how long do you think I can ride it out on the stock dampers?

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
Its totally normal you cant fix it with ram air intake its going to happen no matter what

sry i dont know anything about that kind of hatch

Alzg22

K20A3 User
5+ Year Member
I know I'm reviving a kinda of dead thread, but I was talking to one of my mechanic friends and he said that the problem may actually be a vacuum leak somewhere near the throttle body or intake manifold.

I thought about it and it makes sense as the sound only occurs and a low acceleration or cruise, and as you know, the more the throttle valve is closed the more of a vacuum there is in the intake manifold. The sound doesn't occurs at full throttle, which makes sense as when the throttle is wide open the manifold is usually more at ambient air pressure.

Anyways, what's the easiest way to spot where a vacuum leak is possibly coming from?

Thanks again,
al

stoney13

5+ Year Member
You can spray Brake Clean on the area you think theres a leak. Sounds stupid, but he did it on my 01 civic one night while were at his shop just to see if everything was all good.

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
take your intake off, get an air gun, get a rag, cover the throttle with the rag as tight as you can with the air gun nose wrapped in the same rag. then you blow air through and see if you can feel air coming out somewhere.