High RPM's+VTEC=Burning oil??

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im sure high rpm's and vtec burn some oil, but to what point? On my b16, the other day i ran out every gear a few times for about a day (it was nice out-couldnt resist a leasurely drive). i happen to check my oil and it was down very low. is this normal oil consumption for high rpm's and vtec or excessive oil consumption??
I went from a full oil on dipstick to half full on dipstick.

Phantom Civic

Never Satisfied
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sound like you have a problem man.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you let the car completely cool before you checked your oil?

when was the last time you changed your oil?

have you seen smoke? if so white or dark?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like some rings or possibly valves, i can get on vtec and my s**t won't use a drop for about 5k miles

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dark smoke at high rpms on the parkway. and i did let my car cool before checking the oil on level ground. f**k

94_4dr

5+ Year Member
White smoke is when your burning oil!!! Almost all cars do dark smoke at high rpm's. Just means its running a little rich.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
white smoke is coolant burning. oil is a bluish smoke. and vtec should not burn oil on a healthy car. i know my 02 doesn't at least.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
94_4dr said:
White smoke is when your burning oil!!! Almost all cars do dark smoke at high rpm's. Just means its running a little rich.

bwahahahaha you're funny. Does everybody you know drive a s**t box?

and to the thread starter, you never thought something was odd when the dark smoke was pouring out your exhaust under high RPM's? That didn't strike you as something bad?

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine smokes like a b***h in high rpm's,its the valve seals

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NoBoost said:
Im sure high rpm's and vtec burn some oil, but to what point? On my b16, the other day i ran out every gear a few times for about a day (it was nice out-couldnt resist a leasurely drive). i happen to check my oil and it was down very low. is this normal oil consumption for high rpm's and vtec or excessive oil consumption??
I went from a full oil on dipstick to half full on dipstick.
Every "performance" car loses a little bit of oil. I dont care what brand or manufacturer if they say no their lieing ;) Though if your loosing that much in a day you got a problem. Did you drive it @ 5k + the whole day?

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox said:
i wouldnt exactly call a civic a performance car lol
thats why i quoted performance ;) Anyways just remember i didnt answer this kids question. Sorry man. Like said above possibly rings or valve seals. Have you dont a compression / leak down tests yet? Also possibly try running a synthetic oil when i switched to Mobil 1 on my b16 it used way less oil. My b16 barely ever saw under 4k ;) j/k

Iran

5+ Year Member
well vtec uses oil to work considering it has an oil line connected to it my cousin has a prelude he had thought tthat there was a problem but the honda mechanic insisted it was on the way he drives so now he adds two quarts1500 miles before his scheduled oil changes.