higher frequency with lower RMS?

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
so im comparing some speakers and i noticed that some of the higher end speakers have higher frequency (understandably) but with lower RMS.....why is that?

bainz610

5+ Year Member
When your looking at the speakers also note the sensitivity. If i remember correctly a lower sensitivity number will result in more efficient use of power. Also along those lines higher end companies spend the money in R&D to improve the function of their speakers. In other words they design them and the magnets to make them produce the best sound they can while using the least amount of power

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When your looking at the speakers also note the sensitivity. If i remember correctly a lower sensitivity number will result in more efficient use of power.
Quite the opposite my friend. Higher the db #, more efficient the speaker is.

OP, higher end speakers are usually only meant to be listened to @ reference levels. I've dealt with many higher end comps from hybrid audio, dyn audio, morel, etc etc and while they sound mighty fine, they don't get loud at all. If you want loud and great sounding, look into pro audio.

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
Quite the opposite my friend. Higher the db #, more efficient the speaker is.

OP, higher end speakers are usually only meant to be listened to @ reference levels. I've dealt with many higher end comps from hybrid audio, dyn audio, morel, etc etc and while they sound mighty fine, they don't get loud at all. If you want loud and great sounding, look into pro audio.
what do you mean "listened to at reference levels"?

and i understand the sensitivity rating and that doesnt matter. through out the price rang the sensitivity varied

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
i understand what youre saying, but i dont understand why they (the company or companies) would do that. im sure theres a reason, but i cant figure it out.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Because they're sq speakers.

All those high end brands are meant for old white dudes that listen to kenny g and neal diamond lol

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i guess the cheap loud speakers are meant for ricans that listen with nothing but trebble ???

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Depends

Usually the lower end speakers get louder and can sound better with the right eq and processing. I always shake my head when i see an expensive dynaudio speaker with something like 83db sensitivity and70w power handling.

smocha77

always better marinated
Depends

Usually the lower end speakers get louder and can sound better with the right eq and processing. I always shake my head when i see an expensive dynaudio speaker with something like 83db sensitivity and70w power handling.
eggy has it right. youre really not gonna get loud and quality sound out of a consumer grade speaker, you have to choose.

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
eggy has it right. youre really not gonna get loud and quality sound out of a consumer grade speaker, you have to choose.
im down for quality. i listen to a wide varity of music and im trying to tailor to them all. its so aggravating lol.

smocha77

always better marinated
im down for quality. i listen to a wide varity of music and im trying to tailor to them all. its so aggravating lol.

sure can be, but a good sounding system is alot more respectale than trying to crack pavement. IMO good luck and lmk if you need help. im on my 6th or 7th audio setup now, pretty sure ive made most of the mistakes a person can!!

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For starters, get some sound deadening in the doors, rear deck, and trunk area

Some electrical upgrades wouldn't hurt either...need a solid foundation if u want a nice balanced system

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
i was always an audio noob. so one weekend, i just read.....and read.....and read. i built my first "system" a few years ago before i decided to buckle down and learn, and i was pretty impressed with my self. i knew what i had, what i wanted more of and what i did wrong. And Eggy, sound deadening is a definite. my whole goal with my swap is saving weight to keep the swap around the weight of the stock motor, and my sound system is going to be effected as well. im a person who does a ton of research, and spends a good amount of money....once. i have a ton of questions and am trying to figure them out, but i cant read the answer, but sometimes i need someone to actually explain it in a different way. i keep brand names out to keep focus on the actual question. people understandably tend to be brand loyal and that can sometimes miss the point. like i have a few brands i have in mond and im trying to pick which is either: the most versatile for my range of music OR best suits my most listened to music.

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
i was always an audio noob. so one weekend, i just read.....and read.....and read. i built my first "system" a few years ago before i decided to buckle down and learn, and i was pretty impressed with my self. i knew what i had, what i wanted more of and what i did wrong. And Eggy, sound deadening is a definite. my whole goal with my swap is saving weight to keep the swap around the weight of the stock motor, and my sound system is going to be effected as well. im a person who does a ton of research, and spends a good amount of money....once. i have a ton of questions and am trying to figure them out, but i cant read the answer, but sometimes i need someone to actually explain it in a different way. i keep brand names out to keep focus on the actual question. people understandably tend to be brand loyal and that can sometimes miss the point. like i have a few brands i have in mond and im trying to pick which is either: the most versatile for my range of music OR best suits my most listened to music.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would look into a company called German MEASTRO there concept 2ohm system looks nice i would love to get my hands on some of there new components im curentlly using there origanal MB QUART reference line.

cobb2819

one of the reasons that speakers that don't play as low freq require less power is because a majority of a speaker's power requirement goes to playing low freq. if you eliminate that, then you don't need as much power.

smocha77

always better marinated
sounds like youve got it under controll. post up some pics when ur done. have you considered any of the front speaker moldings that aim more toward the ear not your feet. if your tryin to look oem they dont work but the hardest thing ive dealt weth is getting the sound to the front of the car. i believe you have door tweets right? those are clutch dont be afraid to splurge if you replace those

BlindSniper

5+ Year Member
one of the reasons that speakers that don't play as low freq require less power is because a majority of a speaker's power requirement goes to playing low freq. if you eliminate that, then you don't need as much power.
youre saying it take more power to play lower frequencies?