Homemade costumes!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay so tomorrow at work we have this costume contest and I'm trying to figure out what I can be. I prefer this costume to be homemade, something simple, and easy to make. I want to budget myself under $20 in materials and what not so let's see what ideas you guys have!

So far I have a Chewbacca idea.
- Brown bed sheet ($10)
- Thin foam thingy (don't know cost, but can be used to make the head/mask)
*Probably cut the bed sheet up and make them dangle, then probably sew them onto some baggy pants and long sleeve shirt.

*Post up ideas and what materials would be needed and how to construct the costume. This should be something fun to do for the rest of the day, so let's see your input!

*Oh yea, and I'm pretty craftsy so I can do a lot of things with stuffs like this; I'll also post up pics once I come down with a final decision of what to be/make.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Giant Pacman. We did this two years ago at my girlfriend's friends college.. We made three of them. Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, and a ghost (I was the ghost)...

And they opened up in the front so we could see..

For the Pac Man costumes, all we did was cut out cardboard in two giant pac man pieces, and a rectangle to connect them. A lot of glue and yellow paint.

For the ghost, Cut out a circle of cardboard, cut it in half (sides) and use a rectangular piece to connect them (top). Then throw a sheet over and make some eyes lol.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea I thinking about being Pacman as well, but then I don't have that much cardboard readily available. If I were going to do that, I'd want a FULL BODY sized Pacman (from head to toe). Cover all the sides, even the bottom of the mouth I'd cover up and paint the inside of it black. And leave that upper part of the mouth open to see.

The only thing is that, I'd probably have to wear the costume all day (well I don't have to, but I'd like to); it'll be hard to sit in my chair with all that cardboard everywhere haha!

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im going to be michael jackson. when he was black.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i made a robot costume already. i spent like $30 on material though, not including the stuff i already had. it's a big box with a square window covered in plexiglass for me to see through. i installed 9v batteries which operate 2 switches connected to a cheap buzzer and about 5 led lights. the whole thing was covered in aluminum foil and i used brass thumb tacks to look like rivets. i bought some aluminum-crinkle dryer hose for my arms to go into.

Last edited:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was thinking about being Bender off Futurama but then I don't have that much cardboard like I said haha!

Ritoshi

5+ Year Member
Dude I have TONS of cardboard in my warehouse I can make 5 Bender costumes… lol

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm trying to make homemade too this year cuz im tight on cash till my first paycheck comes in....i was thinking Bob the Builder....at least the girls i ran it by said itd be funny. either that or a country hick

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea, I can walk into the warehouse and grab some cardboard boxes but they're all smaller THIN cardboard boxes... We don't have much of those thicker ones like you'd get if you bought a tv or something.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Be the Zultan members from Dude Where's My Car. Wrap yourself in some bubble wrap.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thinking about the thinner cardboard boxes... I can also be MEGAMAN, then again, I am 5'11 and that mother f**ker is like 4ft tall haha!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I'm being a cowboy lol. Plaid shirt, white shirt underneath.. blue jeans, and a cowboy hat. Now I need a piece of grass to chew on, and maybe some cowboy boots. We're going to a club though.. so maybe no boots.

EH2 GSR 7232

Dee Dee Dee
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wearing my firedept turn out pants and a NY t-shirt goin for the dennis leary look for the famous look alike contest at the strip club.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I'm being a cowboy lol. Plaid shirt, white shirt underneath.. blue jeans, and a cowboy hat. Now I need a piece of grass to chew on, and maybe some cowboy boots. We're going to a club though.. so maybe no boots.
so youre going as toneekay then? :lol:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just because I'm from Texas... Doesn't mean I'm a cowboy.