Honda builders: how did you do it?

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i've found myself in a pickle.

i currently have a SRT4. I love the power, looks, etc...but the gas mileage isn't up to my taste and the upkeep is a tad bit more than i desire, plus i cant help but feel like i'm betraying myself. I miss the hell out of my EK hatch, and i have thought about leaving the neon scene and going back to my roots of Honda.

The problem is this: IMO, all cars after 2001 are ugly as sin. 01-05 coupes/sedans are horrible, the Si is alright looking. The 06+....even more ugly. I think that EG and EK body styles personify what Honda is all about. simple, yet refined.

I am debating on a 06 Si though, only because it has good power, has a warranty, and i dont have to mess with it. Fill the tank, change the oil, and drive it. My work schedule doesnt allow me to spend hours in the garage turning wrenches and etc, so something new and reliable is what i'm after...

BUT

as i mentioned, i hate the looks. plus the price tag to boot. I got my neon on a good deal, and i just cant see adding money to my car payment for a $20k car, that is ugly, not nearly as fast, and will cost more in insurance due to the newness of it.

How did you build your honda? I've always wondered this. Say you pick up an ek...the buildup threads seem to turn a stock/junked car into a clean DD, to potential beast in a matter of months, but my question, is how did you pay for it? Take out a loan for say, $10k and build it all at once? Pay for it as you go?

i would love to do an ek sedan build, or a hatch build (but it would have to have all power options...i hated my manual crap...) or a eg coupe build...but i just cant put the puzzle together of how exactly you go about buying a car, fixing it up, and getting it reliable and complete.

sorry for the long post...just curious. please help meh out!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
cliff notes:

new honda

getting rid of the SRT4

not enough time turning wrenches

want to build a new honda

want something reliable and daily driven

the new Si Coupe and sedan is hot but you dont like it

you dont really like new civics anymore

want better MPG

my conclusions says :get a fit.

imbcruz

ItsMeBraulio!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It Takes Time I guess that's what my answer is

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I <3 my fit. Its going to be boosted soon:P. And I will still get 30mpg +

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the Fit just doesnt fit me. what a pun.

i think it is a nifty little car, but doesnt have the power i would want. and no center armrest. thats a biggie for me. i despized it in my hatch. Plus, i havent seen too many fixed up, and imo, the "new cars" just arent JDM. i know some think its a fad and etc, but i just like the style of it.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with you, new cars can't be as cool as older cars that have work done to them. It's just not the same feeling. It's, too new I guess.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just take your time. i knew a guy with that had the money to throw around. he ended up swapping an engine, putting on new rims and tires, and putting on just about every bolt on you could imagine on his hatch in about a month. he admits that he wished he just would of taken his time cuz thats what half the fun is, saving up to buy that part you want. im holdin down a minimum wage job while going to school 20 hours a week, so it took me about 3 months to save up for new rims and tires but now that i actually have them on there its feels great!

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, im not a total novice to working on cars, i put two totally different suspensions on my hatch, front end conversion, swaped interiors, etc....

just motor work has always been the point where i will admit to anyone that it scares me, so i settled for my y7 engine...but now that i've expirenced a DOHC engine, i wont ever go back...

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fit (for me)= not enough power, styling is almost there, just doesnt do it for me. i like the Si coupe more...

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Buy an EG or EK, sell the SRT then buy a B-series swap or turbo and then swap or boost depending on funds.

Personally, if I were to do the typical project car thing I know that I have saved enough money in the past that I would not have to take out a loan or anything to fund the car.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i wouldnt boost, thats the reason why im wanting to get out of the neon. 93 octane sux at the moment

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can't have good mpg and a fast car. pick one.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EG or EK with semi built B20 or LS motor....you can still pump 87 atleast :lol:

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ill have 150whp in a eco box fit. and about the arm rest and jdm fad s**t. the fit has been our for like 4 yrs in japan. So all that is covered. anyway, back on topic.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds to me like you can't be pleased period.

dont like turbo because of the bad mileage and gas prices and maintenance

dont want a slow car

dont have time to build a fast car (which would put you back under the low gas mileage)

dont like the look or price of a new quick car.

you're gonna have to suck it up somewhere