Honda Civic DX CLuster swap

strykez

5+ Year Member
hey i was wondering which cluster i should get if i want to get an RPM guage since the DX comes without one and i want to get one of those glow guage kits so would i have to buy a cluster than swap out the guages or can i just swap the engine temperature guage out for the RPM one not sure if this would work because im guessing the needles would be set up differently?

UgP

Addicted to clubcivic.com
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All you need is a gauge cluster from an EX and buy the glow guage kit for an EX cluster. It's really easy.

strykez

5+ Year Member
so i can't just swap the engine heat guage out of my DX cluster with an rpm one? i have to buy an ex cluster?

civic99coupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you could but then you woudlnt have a temp gauge and the glow gauges dat come for the ex model have the temp/gas together on the right so you'd bascially only be able to have to glow gauges lol so pointless..just buy a cluster

UgP

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want to go through the hassle if swapping that out but its ten times easier to just swapp clusters...
they arent that expensive... check out eBay... I bought mine there for like $21.00 shipped a few years back.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So the tachometer hooks up and works when you swap clusters??
Yes.

I have an EX cluster in my DX. Just hooks up the same way as your DX does.

UgP

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the EX cluster is plug and play in a DX! The only issue is the odometer will read mile from the EX cluster unless you swap out the odometer part of the DX with the EX which can be done. Some say this is illegal. It is a gray area because you want to know your cars mileage and using your original mileage in place of the incorrect mileage is the right thing to do.

zandrewe

5+ Year Member
hey i put the ex cluster on my dx and everything worked fine but you know how you start out with 6 wires?
3 being fat and 3 being skinny? well the three skinny ones i left unhooked because i cudnt find a spot to put them, and when i hooked up only the three skinny ones, everything worked fine except the temp gauge?
so basicly is the three skinny ones supposed to be hooked up somehwere?

UgP

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
zandrewe they all plug in. I don't remeber exactly where but when I did mine a few years ago all the plugs went right into the EX cluster without any modifications or problems. Temp, Fuel, Speed, Odo, tach all work.

zandrewe

5+ Year Member
well i got left with three skiny black wires left and i plugged the 3 fat ones everything worked except the temp guage but let me do it again rite now lol

zandrewe

5+ Year Member
oh yeah which wire or bulb cud be messed up for cluster lights and dashboard light? like srs and brake lite works except wen i turn on da interior and lights at ntie it wont lite up, checked all fuses and they still don't work

D-Clips

5+ Year Member
It probably has something to do with the 3 wires that you left unhooked. I can't really see a gauge cluster work off of 3 wires anyways. Considering there's a tachometer, speedometer, the gas gauge, temp gauge, and the highbeam, blinker, low fuel, trunk, brake, some have cruise control, CE, and battery light. I'm trying to get one now that I know they plug right in.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dude, double check your wiring. I installed mine in 5 minutes, literraly. I just disconnected the DX cluster and plugged in the EX one with the SAME wires. I had NO left over wires and everything works perfectly, down to the eBrake and trunk lights.

I dunno why you have left over wires.